Hello!

I'm very new here, and found out about this place through a signing I attended around the release of Firefight when I asked how he chooses his Beta readers.

Years ago I had taken a hiatus from reading fantasy, and after quite a few life changes I ended up being reintroduced through the Wheel of Time series a couple of years ago (which I still haven't finished, embarrassingly enough...I haven't been able to get past book four).

A good friend of mine told me about how Brandon Sanderson finished the series, and recommended all of his books to me. I started with Mistborn, and I haven't quite finished the third book due to being interrupted by the Steelheart books. I was reading the first one aloud to my step sons and proceeded to get completely sucked in. I'm almost finished with Firefight now, and very impatiently awaiting Calamity getting released.

I'm a writer, and absolutely love Writing Excuses and the free YouTube videos of Sanderson teaching at Brigham Young. He has an amazing sense of humor, and I've found those resources to be incredibly helpful in figuring out my own process with writing. I think it's fantastic he's made them free, which only increases my loyalty to his books.

I don't even know where to begin with how much I love his books. There's the strong, female characters, the humor, the limited usage of deus ex machina, unique magic systems, unique worlds, well rounded characters, plot twists, the obstacles his characters go through, restoring my faith in the YA genre of books, and the list goes on and on.

I'm super excited to be here, and can't wait to check out all of the different topics and theories. :-)