Smoker tricks- is there more than one?

kroen

I've read in a similar thread about special tricks and moves Smokers can perform. Sadly, there was only one. Granted, it's pretty good, but I wonder if there are more. Personally I can't think of any. Anyway the trick was this: Unless you're Smoking someone, don't keep your Copper burning all the time just to avoid emotional Allomancy. Instead, if you suspect you are being manipulated, start burning your copper and notice which emotions change. You can repeat this process multiple tims, each time extinguishing and burning. This way you can tell which of your emotions are being targeted. 

That's all fine and good, but are there more? Because I really want it to be a difference between a novice Smoker that just snapped and an experienced, skilled, good Smoker. And yes, I know Brandon said that an exceptionally gifted Smoker can protect others from emotional Allomancy, but let's think of new moves.

P.S. I've made some speculations about Copperclouds in another thread, but for right now let's discuss about what's confirmed.

Edit: I could have sworn that Kelsier said in MB1 that Clubs was the best Smoker he knew. If so, what did he mean by that? Maybe he could produce a very large Coppercloud? Also, can Smokers even see their Copperclouds? And if so, can they see other Smokers' Copperclouds?

Edited by kroen

Edit: I could have sworn that Kelsier said in MB1 that Clubs was the best Smoker he knew. If so, what did he mean by that? Maybe he could produce a very large Coppercloud? Also, can Smokers even see their Copperclouds? And if so, can they see other Smokers' Copperclouds?

That could just mean that Clubs was a good man who was also a Smoker. Since you need a Smoker on every crew, there are more likely than not some pretty shady/untrustworthy individuals that crews have to put up with. 

Or maybe his smoke is just the smokiest.

To address your main point:

We've batted around that, Cosmere-wide, Smokers can probably hide all forms of Investiture from all magics that would be able to detect them, yeah?

On Roshar, there are fabrials (and probably surges) of detection. Perhaps Smokers would be able to foil these. 

On Nalthis, perhaps a Smoker could make an Awakener look like he/she only had one breath instead of five billion. Maybe both color-wise and as it applied to that life-sense that people with breath have. 

Actually, that could be a thing.

Allomancers don't have any visual indicators that they're using their magic. Awakeners and Surgebinders do, however. Maybe Copperclouds would shield those types of magic users in more obvious ways.  

Well, but that's just the norm I think. Burn your Copper, and autimatically protect all forms of magic from being discovered. I was more talking about special tricks/moves that Smokers would have to train in order to master.

For a Misting thieving crew, it's understood that a Smoker is responsible for all "anti-tracking" type activities.  Clubs had a good base, well staffed with reliable people, good look-outs, noise damping insulation, etc.  Being able to burn copper was the smallest part of his job.

I think there might be some misdirection tactics one could do with copperclouds but... they could be attained by other mistings turning their metals on and off just as easily, I think.

Yeah in terms of using their abilities probably not much in the way of tricks, as Pechvarry said they have the biggest jobs outside of allomancy to do, preparing hideouts, etc.

I actually think that it would be reasonable to assume that smokers only cover allomancy as a default and that learning to cover the traces of even hemalurgy and feruchemy (both of which seekers can learn to detect) would qualify as a trick that would take a lot of work to master, and that while they could hide any form of investiture with enough training that that would be insanely difficult and functionally impossible for most if not all smokers.  

• Chaos locked this topic