First of the Sun influence?

Ugouka

I just finished reading Sixth of the Dusk, and it had my mind bristling with questions, so, naturally, I bumbled on over to the coppermind, and sadly, there is very little information about this book on there! So I'm going to pump out a few theories about it and see how it goes.

First off, it is stated that First of the Sun is a MINOR shardworld, so we do know that no shard is actually present there, BUT, we did see what seemed like a shardpool on Patji. Along with intense feelings of Hate, and death lurking around every corner. Now, as I was reading this, I was thinking: "Huh. What if Odium had dumped his shardpool here, leaving his cognitive or spiritual self here, leaving him able to attack the other shards with less risk to himself, since a portion would still be safe?" But now I'm not so sure, since it was stated where Odium "was" within the Greater Roshar System. Instead, what if the "Shard that just wants to survive" has its pool there? Think about it, The pool is on Patji, an island specifically designed to be deadly to everything on it to an overwhelming degree. All the wildlife there senses thought, meaning a non-native that didn't know about the Aviar would be hard-pressed to make it around the island. This hostility all serves to protect the pool at the center. As The Ones Above are getting closer to Patji, the island seems to be getting desperate to defend itself, as Sak's visions go crazy.

Like I said, no shard, but I'm not wholly convinced that that means there isn't a shardpool, and the shard in that system has potentially taken drastic measures to protect itself by splitting its realmatic beings into separate locations.

It could be equally possible that the Shardpool is Endowing the local wildlife with what they need to survive in a hostile ecosystem. Remember that Patji's symbiote's give the Aviar the ability to hide not only themselves, but rather those Aviar are then Endowing that ability on those they trust.

Edited by LabRat

And sometimes they Ruin things. And being territorial, they can also Preserve. And the hunters act with Honor. And the evolution of these creatures is a form of Cultivation.

What I'm saying is, we need something concrete to start speculating about whether the Splinter here is a Splinter of one of the Shards, or maybe a Splinter of Adonalsium itself.

• Chaos locked this topic