Using Awakening to wield other magics!

yurisses

"Upon my touch, grant me the stormlight you hold." is more likely, I think, Ari.

Now, as to powering other magic systems using Awakening, I think it would be impossible (or at the least insanely difficult), because of the required understanding of those systems, as has been illustrated before, you can't awaken something to grant yourself bronze allomancy if firstly you don't know how it works, and secondly you don't know what it feels like, since both of those would be necessary for the mental image linked to the command.

It might be possible to imitate some systems. I'm thinking of Feruchemy specifically, think about the others yourself (can't take all the fun out of it for you guys).

Imagine awakening a leather bracelet (or other miscellaneous organic object) with the command "Upon my command *weaken*, take my strength into you and return it to me upon my command *strenghten*." Ta dah: fake pewtermind. You'd have to have the appropriate heightening of course, since it's a rather complex command, as well as some understanding of Feruchemy.

Yeah good point, my command would just make it store Stormlight, which it already does naturally. Yours is a good start but might need finessing with a "be as my breath" or something along those lines to do it, but Awakening seems a very natural fit for hacking other types of Investiture.

But, what if you instead awakened a flute to sense investiture, and play a different note for each kind/form?

Same problem: unless you sense investiture yourself, you can't form the mental construct (with enough detail) to tell your flute what to do.

If you can't tell the difference between someone using AonDor and someone using allomancy (without looking, because that's cheating) how are you supposed to tell your flute what to look for? And if you are able to sense the difference, why would you need to awaken a flute to do it for you? Unless you're an amazingly charitable person and you're going to give it to someone else to use.

The problem with the bracers is that you might as well command your shirt with "Upon call, lend me strength". It might be difficult to visualize, but from what we've seen awakened cloth do it seems possible. There's no need to store strength like a feruchemist, because the strength comes from the command and the Breaths.

You might be able to awaken a pair of wood glasses frames to mimic a tineye if you had the right command. "Upon wearing and pinching, increase vision and focus" may zoom in when you pinch the temple arm and stop when you let go, keeping the zoom because you didn't tell it to zoom out. The only way to reset it would be to return the breath, but it seems simple enough. Would Breath act as a lens? Would it distort the air in front of it? No idea, but it sure would be interesting.

Following the same logic, the problem with the glasses is you could just get a pair of binoculars instead.  ;) You would't want to make a spectacle of yourself (hurray for really ancient jokes!)

You're actually right on the bracer issue, of course, but just because a specific application of a mechanic is rather useless, does not mean the mechanic itself isn't valid. 

Let's see, a useful application...

You could awaken a piece of wood that has a switch with 3 positions, and you command it to draw heat from your body in position 1, to release it back to you in position 3, and to do nothing in position 2. Now you've got a wooden brassmind facsimile... or one of those ruby space heater fabrials. The command would have to be really complicated though, using loads of breath, and your awakened wooden object might just burst into flame from using it.

Edit:

If you want to get really fancy you could make it a gauge instead of a switch to add compounding (the purely Feruchemic kind, not the one with allomancy mixed in).

Edited by EagleOfTheForestPath

• Chaos locked this topic