Hello I Love You Won't You Tell Me Your Name

Hello to all fellow fans of Brandon Sanderson! (Do we have an official name?)

I discovered Brandon Sanderson through his amazing work on the Wheel of Time series and am reading Elantris, but I was curious to what people recommended to read next. I am a huge fan of fantasy and magic and having heard a little about the worlds that Sanderson has created I am interested how books like Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive are interconnected. I adore the Silmarillion and of course the Wheel of Time series. That's about it I am just looking for suggestions and before anyone asks me about cookies I make my own so I can eat all of the cookie dough.   

Welcome to the 17th Shard! Have an introductory upvote!

We are the 17th Shard, officially, and we are known to call ourselves Sharders.

I suggest reading Warbreaker next. It is available for free on Brandon's website. After that, the Mistborn series is excellent for learning more about magic and Cosmere, and then the Stormlight Archive is pure awesome as well. If you don't like spoilers, I recommend staying from virtually all parts of the forum until you have read more.

Would you like a cookie? I hear that they are very good.

My door locks and other anti-burglary mechanisms are just fine thank you very much. Plus no one can beat cookies that are hand made by the eater. Also, you probably added drugs to your cookies that would take me to cloud coocooland where I would dine on rainbows and dance to the worst pop songs.

My door locks and other anti-burglary mechanisms are just fine thank you very much. Plus no one can beat cookies that are hand made by the eater. Also, you probably added drugs to your cookies that would take me to cloud coocooland where I would dine on rainbows and dance to the worst pop songs.

That would've been crazy! Cookies here just turn people into ponies!

I would go into Mistborn after Elantris, then Emperor's Soul(set on same planet as Elantris). Mistborn and Emperor's soul have most information about cosmere stuff so far so they're good place to start if you're interested in a bigger picture. Then Warbreaker before Stormlight Archive for extra cross-over fun. Elantris is the weakest but they're all awesome. Newer stuff tends to be better if one were to set aside taste and emotional attachments.

Welcome!

Welcome!

The cookies here are, well, not drugged, but spiked to say the least. But not spiked how you think I mean that word. When I say spiked, I mean literally stuck through with metal spikes. Anyway, you'll understand what that means once you read the Mistborn series. Which is what I'd recommend you read after Elantris. In fact, read all Cosmere books in the order that Cracknut suggested:

1) Mistborn Trilogy

2) Alloy of Law (another Mistborn book, but not part of the main trilogy...and books 2 and 3 of this series come out the end of this year and the beginning of 2016)

3) Emperor's Soul

4) Warbreaker (free on Brandon's website!)

5) Stormlight Archive 1 and 2

6) Sixth of the Dusk, which is a short story but set furthest in the future of all of his Cosmere books/short stories.

There's another short story called Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell that you could probably read whenever you want. Also, if you email Brandon on his website you can get two unpublished works of his called White Sand and Aether of Night. White Sand, though, is currently being made into a graphic novel and may not be as canon as the graphic novel when it comes out. 

Edited by Titan Arum

I don't understand why you people hate Warbreaker so much...definitely read it before Mistborn.

I actually love Warbreaker. It's one of my favorites of Brandon's. I only suggest it before SA because of...you know who. Reading it right before SA, and you'll be more likely to get the reference.

Also, creating a suggested reading order has no bearing on whether or not a book is liked. At least that's how I feel. The order to me is about readability and linkages. For example, I really believe Mistborn is the best way to start because it's more well written than Elantris and storming entertaining. I usually then recommend Elantris right after Mistborn. But since our friend has already read Elantris, I left it off of the list. 

Edited by Titan Arum

I don't understand why you people hate Warbreaker so much...definitely read it before Mistborn.

What Titan Arum said. Also it's kind of reverse Mistborn and imo it's more fun to read it after MB then before...

Edited by Cracknut

I would recommend Warbreaker before the Mistborns for one simple reason: Well of Ascension. It's...to be frank, boring. It's ridiculously long given the lack of content within it, the characters tend to repeat themselves for chapters on end, and the tension just builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and...you get the point. That's not to mention the poor quality of various characters and their relationships. In the end it's not a very good showing considering the level of quality of every other work Brandon has released ever. Having someone read that as their third work in the Cosmere doesn't really instill much confidence in an author, in my opinion.

That being said, my opinion of the book could be jaded, slightly, because I did read Warbreaker, then Elantris, and then the Mistborns, so I had some quality writing by Sanderson before reaching WoA. My father, a man who likes just about anything ever, felt the same way about the book. He, too, read Warbreaker and Elantris first, since I was the one giving him access to them.

I would recommend Warbreaker before the Mistborns for one simple reason: Well of Ascension. It's...to be frank, boring. It's ridiculously long given the lack of content within it, the characters tend to repeat themselves for chapters on end, and the tension just builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and builds, and...you get the point. That's not to mention the poor quality of various characters and their relationships. In the end it's not a very good showing considering the level of quality of every other work Brandon has released ever. Having someone read that as their third work in the Cosmere doesn't really instill much confidence in an author, in my opinion.

That being said, my opinion of the book could be jaded, slightly, because I did read Warbreaker, then Elantris, and then the Mistborns, so I had some quality writing by Sanderson before reaching WoA. My father, a man who likes just about anything ever, felt the same way about the book. He, too, read Warbreaker and Elantris first, since I was the one giving him access to them.

Well in my opinion WoA is still much better than Elantris. I have a friend who got into Sanderson with me back in the day but skipped Elantris and she still isn't able to get through it. And I just got a friend into Mistborn and WoA is his favorite out of the three. In the end it's about taste in my opinion so no one really can tell which one will be better for someone. That aside there is no reason at all to read Warbreaker before Mistborn when trying to get into Cosmere. TFE is one of the best fantasy books out there, Warbreaker? I love it but it's nowhere close to that imho.