Duralumin + Nicrosil = ?

Adamir

Note: This may have been posted before. I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

Duralumin = enhances the next metal burned by yourself

Nicrosil = enhances the next metal burned by someone else

If Duralumin were to be burnt right before fueling someone else's burn with Nicrosil (or if you were to burn Duralumin, and someone were to fuel you with Nicrosil afterwards), what would be the result? Duralumin drains your entire reserve to enhance the next effect, while Nicrosil drains someone else's entire reserve to enhance their next effect. My current theory is that Nicrosil fueled by Duralumin would act in the same way as compounding - draining far more Investiture from Preservation than would be possible with the metals separately. This could allow someone with a limited amount of metals to increase their effects, though it would be impractical; imagine a Duralumin-Nicrosil fueled Coinshot going into orbit and freezing to death.

Edited by Adamir

It's amusing to picture a bunch of Allomancers stading in a circle taking turns doing exactly that, in order to launch a paperclip really, really fast into, say, the moon.

For science, of course.  B)

I mean, it might work for emergency healing purposes, but I don't think it actually increases the total amount of stuff that the pewter does. It just compresses it into an incredibly tiny interval.

It might be interesting to try extreme-far-future precognition, though.  :lol: Interesting, but ill-advised.

It's amusing to picture a bunch of Allomancers stading in a circle taking turns doing exactly that, in order to launch a paperclip really, really fast into, say, the moon.

For science, of course.  B)

I mean, it might work for emergency healing purposes, but I don't think it actually increases the total amount of stuff that the pewter does. It just compresses it into an incredibly tiny interval.

It might be interesting to try extreme-far-future precognition, though.  :lol: Interesting, but ill-advised.

I assumed that Duralumin would condense the overall effect - for example, if you were to heal a few wounds over, say, half an hour with pewter, burning Duralumin would condense that to a single second. Perhaps the effects of Duralumin and Nicrosil don't stack, or Nicrosil just condenses it further (meaning that for things like steel, the effect would be increased by condensation, but with pewter healing, for example, there would be no increase in the effect)

On another note, I'm not sure if Scadrial has a moon. I'll look it up

On another note, I'm not sure if Scadrial has a moon. I'll look it up

Pssh, no point super-mega-stacking enhancement if you aren't going to fire a paperclip across universes into our moon.  :lol: Mark my words - one day, someone will do some digging on the moon and they'll find a mysterious and highly mangled paperclip, too far down and on the wrong side to be from Earth.

...Okay, okay.

I don't remember Scadrial having any moons - it seemed like the night sky was empty, apart from some scattered stars. It was likely near the edge of a galaxy, not too close to any star clusters, and without anything in orbit around it that would stand out (moons, rings etc.) Then again, we haven't observed the sky from the rest of the planet, so for all we know there could have been a giant floating pumpkin just over the unpopulated Equator or something.  :lol:

Well, we have no idea exactly how the FTL of the third trilogy will come about. Could it be that they have the Southern Scadrian machines chain Duralumin and Nicrosil in ways that massive amounts of Steel are burned to shoot the ships across the galaxy?

Well, we have no idea exactly how the FTL of the third trilogy will come about. Could it be that they have the Southern Scadrian machines chain Duralumin and Nicrosil in ways that massive amounts of Steel are burned to shoot the ships across the galaxy?

Maybe they figure out how to fix those time-distortion bubbles relative to the ship, rather than relative to the planet. It sounds better than trying to aim a Steelpush really, really precisely in such a way as to avoid all the space debris and everything, although I have trouble pinning down exactly how it would work.

Steelpushing wouldn't accelerate you to FTL speeds no matter how hard you pushed, it's something to do with time bubbles although I suspect Nicrosil or Duralumin will still be involved.

Pssh, no point super-mega-stacking enhancement if you aren't going to fire a paperclip across universes into our moon.  :lol: Mark my words - one day, someone will do some digging on the moon and they'll find a mysterious and highly mangled paperclip, too far down and on the wrong side to be from Earth.

...Okay, okay.

I don't remember Scadrial having any moons - it seemed like the night sky was empty, apart from some scattered stars. It was likely near the edge of a galaxy, not too close to any star clusters, and without anything in orbit around it that would stand out (moons, rings etc.) Then again, we haven't observed the sky from the rest of the planet, so for all we know there could have been a giant floating pumpkin just over the unpopulated Equator or something.  :lol:

Scadrial has a very bright and large patch of stars. It is, however, only visible to Mistborn and Tineyes, due to the nighttime mists. One of the more poetic quirks of the setting.

VegasDev (17 October 2008)

How many moons circle Scadrial, i.e. when the planet was moved were the moons moved as well?

Brandon Sanderson (17 October 2008)

Scadrial has no moons. I think I let slip the phrase "he's mooning over her" somewhere in the third book, but that is just a translation quirk to English. These people have no concept of a moon. There is a very bright star patch, however, covering much of the sky—much brighter than on Earth.

(source)

Duralumin and Nicrosil don't enhance the next effect but every single metal you or the target are burning at the moment you start burning Duralumin/Nicrosil. This includes the Duralumin itself, so I'm not sure combining it with a Nicrosil boost makes a difference.

It raises the point that while Duralumin is expended and can only be used once before needing to reload, Nicrosil can probably be used repeatedly without losing all your reserves with each use.

We know that BS intends/intended to make a Nicrosil misting the protagonist of the 2nd trilogy (3rd now, since Wax and Wayne is a thing) so Nicrosil is super important though. It also suggests we will really not see many Mistborn (and, hence, Duralumin users), if at all, in the "second trilogy". The Nicrosil combinations are going to be interesting... Bendalloy, Cadmium, Gold and Electrum have potential (considering what Atium+Duralumin did).

Edited by yurisses

One thing to note is that neither Duralumin nor Nicrosil really increases the overall amount of investiture a certain amount of metal can access, only compresses all of it into a single moment. So I think a more efficient way to increase the strength of, say, a steelpush would be to consume a large amount of steel and then have someone burn Nicrosil for you to compress all of that steel's usage into one moment.

Scadrial has a very bright and large patch of stars. It is, however, only visible to Mistborn and Tineyes, due to the nighttime mists. One of the more poetic quirks of the setting.

Now that I think of it, I remember that.  :lol: I guess Scadrial might be some distance in from the surface of an elliptic galaxy, or something. I wonder what their astronomers think.

imagine a Duralumin-Nicrosil fueled Coinshot going into orbit and freezing to death.

Poor guy would burn up he would have to be moving so fast. In fact he might just explode from the friction with the air.  One thing is clear this is not a thing I would want to have happen to me.

Now that I think of it, I remember that.  :lol: I guess Scadrial might be some distance in from the surface of an elliptic galaxy, or something. I wonder what their astronomers think.

I believe there's one spot in the Mistborn trilogy where Vin goes up above the mists and gets to see the stars.

Also, the mists wouldn't be as prevalent post-Origin, so I expect the Alloy of Law era skies are quite starry.

I believe there's one spot in the Mistborn trilogy where Vin goes up above the mists and gets to see the stars.

Also, the mists wouldn't be as prevalent post-Origin, so I expect the Alloy of Law era skies are quite starry.

Is it when 

Vin kills Straff?

Mostly because I remember her Duralumin-Steelpushing to reach her target,

Edited by Adamir

Is it when 

Vin kills Straff?

Mostly because I remember her Duralumin-Steelpushing to reach her target,

It might be when she

draws on the mists at the end when she's fighting all of the inquisitors at once. Before she becomes a deity, she spends some time jumping really, really high.

Scadrial has a very bright and large patch of stars. It is, however, only visible to Mistborn and Tineyes, due to the nighttime mists. One of the more poetic quirks of the setting. Duralumin and Nicrosil don't enhance the next effect but every single metal you or the target are burning at the moment you start burning Duralumin/Nicrosil. This includes the Duralumin itself, so I'm not sure combining it with a Nicrosil boost makes a difference.It raises the point that while Duralumin is expended and can only be used once before needing to reload, Nicrosil can probably be used repeatedly without losing all your reserves with each use.We know that BS intends/intended to make a Nicrosil misting the protagonist of the 2nd trilogy (3rd now, since Wax and Wayne is a thing) so Nicrosil is super important though. It also suggests we will really not see many Mistborn (and, hence, Duralumin users), if at all, in the "second trilogy". The Nicrosil combinations are going to be interesting... Bendalloy, Cadmium, Gold and Electrum have potential (considering what Atium+Duralumin did).

Did you know that that patch of stars if the same one visible from Threnody? It's the planet of Shadows for Silence, btw.

Poor guy would burn up he would have to be moving so fast. In fact he might just explode from the friction with the air.  One thing is clear this is not a thing I would want to have happen to me.

I was immediately reminded of this GalaxyQuest quote:

Jason Nesmith: What? What was that?

Alexander Dane: Uh, nothing.

Jason Nesmith: I heard some squealing or something.

Gwen DeMarco: Oh, no. Everything's fine.

Teb: But the animal is inside out.

Jason Nesmith: I heard that! It turned inside out?

[the pig-lizard explodes]

Teb: And it exploded.

Jason Nesmith: Did I just hear that the animal turned inside out, and then it EXPLODED?

• Chaos locked this topic