Guy Gavriel Kay

guess

Brandon said he is the best fantasy author right now. I don't know anything about his books. Please recommend some of his best ones?

Edit: Sorry. can this be moved to other books? I put it in the wrong profile.

Edited by guess

Brandon said he is the best fantasy author right now. I don't know anything about his books. Please recommend some of his best ones?

Edit: Sorry. can this be moved to other books? I put it in the wrong profile.

I cannot move :-).

But I can give my impression for Guy Gavriel Kay though I did only read "The Fionavar Tapestry", "The Lions of Alrassan" and "The Last Light of the Sun". So I'm not unbiased because I liked all of these books.

The Fionavar Tapestry: I like books where the people travel between the "real world" and an imaginary world. And, too, I liked finding elements that are (more or less) generally known.

The Lions of Alrassan: If I remember right it's (kind of) based on the history of the Iberian Peninsula, but it's a longer time that I read it, so don't pin me down on this. It's kind of more "serious" than The Fionavar Tapestry, but good to read and very interesting.

The Last Light of the Sun: Here I don't remember whether it's based on history but it's good to read too, and very interesting.

The Lions ... as well as the latter is kind of "bloody".

I'm sorry not to have more than this few sentences but it's really a long time since I read them and, too, I don't remember enough to give a summary and much less if I should to do so in English.

There are more books from GGK, I hope somebody can tell you about them.

Based on the books I've read I think they are not comparable to BS's books. Especially the Fionavar Tapestry is quite another matter. So if you love BS's books I think perhaps you should try "The Lions of Alrassan" or "The Last Light of the Sun".

If you ask me: give GGK a try :-).

I've only tried one of his so far, which was actually recommended by Brandon. Tigana is a stand alone book that focuses a lot on memory. The general premise is that a conquering wizard casts a spell (out of revenge) to make it so that no one can remember the name of a certain province except those who were born there before the spell was cast. The book revolves around the effects of that spell on the area and the quest of certain people to get that spell broken.

I don't have other books of his to compare it to, but I loved it. It felt more like a Patrick Rothfuss book than it did a Brandon Sanderson book. Very poetic prose.

Tigana has gotten very good reviews. I think I will start with that. I am 38 and have read alot of fantasy/sci-fi books over the years. At this point in my life I am looking for things that are different. All fantasy and sci-fi books don't need action to keep me interested. I also like books with solid prose and complex characters.

I think I am leaning toward books populated with regular people. I really like the Daniel Abraham style of books. I can relate more to his characters than I can to a 'rand' (though RJ is and will always be my favorite author) or Aragorn type character. I want to root for these guys, but I understand the regular people better.

I was like Brandon when I was younger. I wanted to read about stuff blowing up.

• 1 month later...

Am currently reading Sailing to Sarantium and absolutely loving it! All the characters are instantly likeable, the prose has a sort of whimsical feel to it and the world feels very real (maybe that's because its based off the Byzantine period).

• 7 months later...

I've only read the Sailing to Sarantium and its sequel arc, but I loved them! They are a bit crude at times but to me this only enhances the characters and the world they are in! It's brilliant how he captures the feel of the Byzantine period and seamlessly meshes both the third person and omnipotent narrators together.

I would highly recommend him too.