Any theories as to how Nightblood... [spoilers]?

Bondsmith

This sort of thread really works best in the Cosmere Theories board, since it covers multiple worlds. I brought it up, and Rubix moved it over here. He also reworked the title a little. Please try to keep titles spoiler free!

That is a very good point. I still disagree, as Vasher's had a far longer life span to hone his skills, though.

True, but if you remember, Vasher tends to win fights by unconventional methods. Not by his skill so much as taking risks and doing the unexpected.  I'm not saying Vasher is not a good swordsman, but i don't think you can really call him a great swordsman either.  He has, however shown that he can be an excellent teacher.  

As to having years to hone his skills, I could live for a hundred years, shooting a basketball every day for hours and I still wouldn't be able to play with Jordan, James, and Bryant  :D sometime there is only so much you can do to improve a particular skill-set.  What all that time would do for me though, would be to observe others weaknesses and potential ways for me to exploit a perceived strength and plan a way around them.

True, but if you remember, Vasher tends to win fights by unconventional methods. Not by his skill so much as taking risks and doing the unexpected.  I'm not saying Vasher is not a good swordsman, but i don't think you can really call him a great swordsman either.  He has, however shown that he can be an excellent teacher.  

He used those tactics when fighting swordsmen better than he was. And those swordsmen all claimed he was good, and they were the best of the best on Nalthis. I think you're head-canoning him unfairly.

As to having years to hone his skills, I could live for a hundred years, shooting a basketball every day for hours and I still wouldn't be able to play with Jordan, James, and Bryant  :D sometime there is only so much you can do to improve a particular skill-set.

Though I agree with your statement that there is only so much that can be done, given hundreds of years I still think you'd make it to their level (assuming you didn't age). You'd obviously have to take it seriously, and not treat it as a joke, but with time you'd improve to tremendous levels.

We do know from WoB that "Vasher and Nightblood has sort of a falling out..."  This suggests that it wasn't simply stolen, or he lost it by throwing it at someone.  They had a falling out, a disagreement of some sort, so I think they parted ways intentionally, but Vasher regrets that decision now.  

Edited by Ruro272

We do know from WoB that "Vasher and Nightblood has sort of a falling out..."  This suggests that it wasn't simply stolen, or he lost it by throwing it at someone.  They had a falling out, a disagreement of some sort, so I think they parted ways intentionally, but Vasher regrets that decision now.  

I love how the way you said that makes it seem like Vasher was dating a sword.

• Chaos locked this topic