possible stupid question about weakness

tbone

I know it's explained how weakness is tied to fear and in the end it's kind of inferred that overcoming your fear will put the epic in control and not evil if I read correctly. Knowing this, is that "thing" still a weakness? If Megan is killed by fire, even though she's confronted her fear, will she still perma-die? I think it's a fascinating question

I have been thinking about that as well. My only lead on the topic is Edmund/Conflux. The thing about dogs he talked about implies he might really have overcome his weakness, be it by facing it or just stopping to care, thanks to his... lifestyle. Now acording to prof Megan´s illusions still faltered in the fire, so I see these four options.

1)They keep their weakness and Edmund either lied or managed to missinterpret his weakness even though he has nightmares.

2)Loosing your weakness is delayed or a more gradual progress.

3)The fire didn´t dispel her illusions and they simply colapsed after she shot herself.

4)What Megan did only get´s rid of your corruption and stopping to care, as Edmund may have done, also gets rid of your weakness.

Perhaps facing your weakness cleanses the corruptive (not a word spell check?) nature of the powers. Actually getting over the fear entirely causes the weakness to go away (no weakness Epic)

Sounds reasonable to me and it also makes sense thematically given what we know about their origin.

I'm with edgedancer that the hint is in the conversation with Edmund. When I first read Edmund claim he had no weakness my immediate thought was to call bs. Further contemplation brought me to the conclusion that maybe he had a weakness to a specific breed of dog and not others. Now I'm just not sure.

Could somebody please upvote tbone for me?  I was scrolling on my phone and accidentally hit the downvote button :(

My bad!

Anyways, I think that it's a little more than fear when it comes to determining weaknesses.

For example, why is kool aid a weakness?

In the absence of a true fear, it could be linked to a traumatic event.  For example, sourcefield could have been attacked at a kid's birthday party, and Steelheart was denied a scholarship once he met academic recruiters who weren't afraid of him.  That sort of thing.

Could somebody please upvote tbone for me?  I was scrolling on my phone and accidentally hit the downvote button :(

Done. :P

Also I think that in the case of the Kool Aid it is not the actual substance that she fears exactly, but rather it is symbolic of the traumatic event that occurred. 

Same with Mitosis. He's not actually AFRAID of his own music, but his experience trying to become a musician was traumatic to him and his music symbolizes that for him.

Edited by Galavantes

Also I think that in the case of the Kool Aid it is not the actual substance that she fears exactly, but rather it is symbolic of the traumatic event that occurred. 

Same with Mitosis. He's not actually AFRAID of his own music, but his experience trying to become a musician was traumatic to him and his music symbolizes that for him.

Sorry if I was unclear about my point, but this was what I meant.

It could also be that the weakness has to be prominent enough to... be a weakness.  For example, an epic could be really scared of black cats with white patches on the front left and right back legs, which would cause them to have neutralized powers when they're around cats.  Similarly, if Edmund was attacked by a labrador once, he may be weak to all dogs.  That sort of thing.

Sorry if I was unclear about my point, but this was what I meant.

It could also be that the weakness has to be prominent enough to... be a weakness.  For example, an epic could be really scared of black cats with white patches on the front left and right back legs, which would cause them to have neutralized powers when they're around cats.  Similarly, if Edmund was attacked by a labrador once, he may be weak to all dogs.  That sort of thing.

In rereading your post I can see now that we are saying the same thing. ;)

• Chaos locked this topic