Double Steel Twinborn + straightaway = catapult?

TheOneKEA

I was thinking about the WoB where Brandin said that a double steel Twinborn can move pretty fast but that they would eventually have problems due to friction. This made me wonder if a double steel Twinborn could move fast enough that they could launch an object into the air, like an ultralight aircraft, by pushing it down a straightaway to get it up to the necessary speed.

I also wonder if a TwinSteel Metallic Catapult as manufactured by the Southern Scadrians could be used to launch bigger objects, like a jet-sized aircraft.

If a coinshot pushes on an object that is moving towards them at a high speed it can kill them so I dont think this would work.

What object would be moving towards them? I'm envisioning a 100m to 300m runway with a great big metallic blast shield at one end, and the Twinborn would push on that Allomantically to get started down the straightaway. The big question here is now the Twinborn in this case would impart that momentum to the object they're pushing, because muscle power isn't going to work very well.

For an AoL-era ultralight craft, it'd pretty much have to be made of wood and fabric.  The only metals that I know of that are light enough for that sort of thing are aluminum (which still needs electrolysis technology to be developed before mass production can happen) or titanium (which is pretty scarce).

For an AoL-era ultralight craft, it'd pretty much have to be made of wood and fabric.  The only metals that I know of that are light enough for that sort of thing are aluminum (which still needs electrolysis technology to be developed before mass production can happen) or titanium (which is pretty scarce).

Not to mention the fact that allomancy doesn't work on aluminium

Not to mention the fact that allomancy doesn't work on aluminium

Eh, you could have an embedded steel plate or something to Push on.  But the majority of the body would need to be an aluminum alloy for weight.  :)

Eh, you could have an embedded steel plate or something to Push on.  But the majority of the body would need to be an aluminum alloy for weight.  :)

you could also use something like the the catapult they use to launch planes on aircraft carriers.  Put the metal there, and it wouldn't have to weigh the craft down any.  setting this all up on a hill, to add a vertical component to the final velocity, might help too.

• Chaos locked this topic