Enhanced speed/strength of stormlight filled Kaladin

tdogpete

I believe there is a WoB (I'm too lazy to find it) that says the reason Szeth can't affect people wearing Shardplate is because none of the magic systems can affect something with a lot of investiture very well. He didn't say anything about Szeth not being able to wear shard plate though.

I believe there is a WoB (I'm too lazy to find it) that says the reason Szeth can't affect people wearing Shardplate is because none of the magic systems can affect something with a lot of investiture very well. He didn't say anything about Szeth not being able to wear shard plate though.

Someone upthread pulled out the quote, btu Szeth mentions in the book that wearing plate would interfere with his abilities.  or possibly that the abilities would interfere with the plate.  either way, it is in the books (WoK, specifically, I think)

Specifically, he says that his abilities would interfere with the gems that power the Plate, not the Plate itself.

He also cannot directly Lash Shardplate. This, however, might not necessarily be a trait of just "things with Investiture". Remember that the Stormform lightning was at first able to at least harm Shardplate, but then Adolin's Plate adapted. It's possible that beyond it being difficult to Lash any Invested thing, Plate might specifically have a feature that protects from arcana. Or, alternately, it might only protect specifically against whatever the listeners were doing, having been made for that purpose.

This was actually what I was thinking of, though they basically say the same thing:

Q: Will Allomancy affect Shardblades?

A: It cannot affect Shardblades. Well, cannot is a strong term. Things with innate Investiture are much more difficult to affect by any of the magics at all. Which is why it's very hard for Szeth to bind people or lash people whering Shardplate to the ceiling. In the same way Allomancy wouldn't be able to push on it without some help. Duralumin with a strong Push would probably do it.

• Chaos locked this topic