A book about how to write (well).

Alliare

Hiya, guys.

I was wondering if you could help me. I've someone who wants to learn how to write very badly, and I would love to give hin a book on the subject. I mean, I can give some advice or, better, show him things written in the Internet about the subject by Brandon and other superb authors, but I would really like to know if there is *something*, some book, that has helped you to learn how to write, that any author you know has mentioned, recommended or, even better, written. I'm looking, myself, but you're all great readers, so I would really like your help.

First of all, I'd plug Writing Excuses, which you probably already know about, but just in case... It is a podcast on writiing brandon does with three other brilliant authors.

I haven't personally read any, but on the 'cast they have mentioned a few: Orson Scott Card wrote "On Writing", and he is a really good author. Hmmm, can't think of any more this moment, but I'll come back if I do think of them.

Also, this isn't a book, but I've seen a few of these that interest me: David Farland/Wolverton has a website that he updates every day with a mini entry on one subject, such as characterization, action in scenes, setting, viewpoint, and so on.

Here is Writing Excuses

And here isDavid Farland's Writing Tips

Edited by lyssie95

Thanks!

Of course I know Writing Excuses (love it, in fact), but I did not know about David farland's website. That will help me, too.

However, it's your recommendation os Card's book which really hits the spot. My friend likes Card, so it's a sure bet, and I like him as a writer, so...

I'm going to look for it. I will need it delivered soon and I will probably won't be able to find it in my country.

Any more suggestions?

Stephen King has a quasi-autobiography/book on writing called, appropriately, "On Writing." He gives a background of how he became a writer, then talks about the craft, gives examples of different drafts of his work (complete with editor's marks), and so forth. Nice thing there is that King is a discovery writer, while Sanderson is an outliner (haven't read much about how OSC writes, but he seems to be a bit more of a discovery writer than outliner). That is great because it would give your friend two different perspectives and he can better figure what he is like, then.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Brandon Sanderson's homepage. Go to his blog posts (left side). The latest one from the time of this posting (5/3/2012) has a link to one of Brandon's students starting to post his lectures on the web. He teaches a creative writing class. I have not seen it yet. Looks like he finally got the ok to post the lectures on the web.

I second writing excuses. The take I get from Writing Excuses is that you have to write and actually finish something. Don't worry about making it perfect or brushing it up. This story will not be very good since its your first story and you are just trying to get a full story together. Then go back and edit it to make it better. Then throw it out and start on another one.

Basically just do it, but make sure you finish it. Don't constantly revise. It doesn't matter if its not any good. The mere act of completing something will make your next story better.