World Building Help Wanted!

Man, I am really coming to you guys for help with this haha. I am trying to make a story with a fairly unique magic system and plot. Well. Everything I guess.  I literally suck at coming up with my own ideas, like I can write a story fine-ish, but I need help getting the world, and the magic, and stuff.

Sorry I rambled a bit there, but I guess what I'm looking for is people to help me come up with a unique world setting. I want there to be something a little off about it, thats commonplace but dangerous i guess? I'm sorry I don't even really know what I'm looking for. I guess I just want to make my own cool unique place, like the Shattered Planes in Stormlight Archive, or the mists on Scadrial. Any help with ideas for anything would be greatly appreciated.

9 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

That's news to me...

Um, any sort of specific vibes you want?

@Shardwatcher01

well for what cuz I was thinking if just for general worldscape I want it to be lie super dangerous but needed to survive kinda thing. Almost like the storms on roshar and how they refill light but like its a need to survive. And I was thinking also like it could fuel or at least affect the magic system (which I have no idea what it is right now) in some way. I'm sorry guys I'm so just like useless and asking for everything cuz ive got nothing rn.

11 minutes ago, Shardwatcher01 said:

well for what cuz I was thinking if just for general worldscape I want it to be lie super dangerous but needed to survive kinda thing. Almost like the storms on roshar and how they refill light but like its a need to survive. And I was thinking also like it could fuel or at least affect the magic system (which I have no idea what it is right now) in some way. I'm sorry guys I'm so just like useless and asking for everything cuz ive got nothing rn.

Agh sorry i'm trying to think of anything but I'm coming up short. It might help if there's any sort of more specific parameters.

14 minutes ago, Shardwatcher01 said:

I was thinking like if theyre in it too long they start to suffocate or like they get infected with some virus or something, but they need to travel thru it for water or 

dude i JUST HAD THIS IDEA

Uhhh do you want me to try to add on?

1 minute ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Uhhh do you want me to try to add on?

sorry sorry yea i was just writing it down.

Its a BIT loose but hey. groundwork.

The only way to get water is thru this cave with strange dense mists, and they get it on the other side. If people are in the mists too long tho, they get this “virus” which is really a spren like celestial creature ( WE WILL FIND SOMETHING BETTER BUT ITS LIKE SPREN OK?) and it talks in ur head and stuff, but the bonding process usually kills its human, and there's rumors cuz people will be like wandering around talking to no one before they die, so people think they get sick. ANYWAY the main character survives the bond and now has basically a spren that can do stuff (idk what yet not turn into weapons too much like WoK). and he needs to save his people from an evil god that only he knows about and can see (cuz his spren).

4 minutes ago, Shardwatcher01 said:

The only way to get water is thru this cave with strange dense mists, and they get it on the other side. If people are in the mists too long tho, they get this “virus” which is really a spren like celestial creature ( WE WILL FIND SOMETHING BETTER BUT ITS LIKE SPREN OK?) and it talks in ur head and stuff, but the bonding process usually kills its human, and there's rumors cuz people will be like wandering around talking to no one before they die, so people think they get sick. ANYWAY the main character survives the bond and now has basically a spren that can do stuff (idk what yet not turn into weapons too much like WoK). and he needs to save his people from an evil god that only he knows about and can see (cuz his spren).

I like it! It’s a really good start to a story. Is it just random chance for the people that survive?

Okay, what about the protagonist lets them survive? Could there be a group of runners in this society specifically trained to get through the mists fast?

Just now, Lightweaver2 said:

I like it! It’s a really good start to a story. Is it just random chance for the people that survive?

idk maybe something with his herratige or something like that. like he is decended from the original "magic people" who all got killed off by this god or something else. I'm a little hesitant on like the whole  "Misty cave to get water" bit. Any suggestions with it?

1 minute ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Okay, what about the protagonist lets them survive? Could there be a group of runners in this society specifically trained to get through the mists fast?

I'm thinking more like its not a long journey so anyone can go but if you get lost and take too long thats when you "catch" it. and he does and lives for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Shardwatcher01 said:

idk maybe something with his herratige or something like that. like he is decended from the original "magic people" who all got killed off by this god or something else. I'm a little hesitant on like the whole  "Misty cave to get water" bit. Any suggestions with it?

I'm thinking more like its not a long journey so anyone can go but if you get lost and take too long thats when you "catch" it. and he does and lives for some reason.

The cave could be called "The Well." Though maybe it doesn't have to be mists. Maybe it could be a noise that people think drives people insane but that's actually just the sound the "spren" make.

8 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

The cave could be called "The Well." Though maybe it doesn't have to be mists. Maybe it could be a noise that people think drives people insane but that's actually just the sound the "spren" make.

oooooh maybe. that gave me a great book title idea. THE WELL OF ASCENSION 

nah i’m just joking but i had this idea as i went to sleep where like no mists but deep in the cave are several stalactites that like DRIP mist, and it’s denser than air so you can like hold it in a bucket. also if you inhale it it like rots ur lungs and stuff and they don’t have proper filters only like rags so that’s why a lot of people die. anyway i had this idea last night that a small one like fell as he bent over to grab something or something and it like went right thru his spine and that’s how he got the stuffs. thoughts?

oooooh maybe. that gave me a great book title idea. THE WELL OF ASCENSION 

nah i’m just joking but i had this idea as i went to sleep where like no mists but deep in the cave are several stalactites that like DRIP mist, and it’s denser than air so you can like hold it in a bucket. also if you inhale it it like rots ur lungs and stuff and they don’t have proper filters only like rags so that’s why a lot of people die. anyway i had this idea last night that a small one like fell as he bent over to grab something or something and it like went right thru his spine and that’s how he got the stuffs. thoughts?

Hm, I do think the idea of the mist being dense in that way is cool. As for the stalactite thing, I'm not sure. I do like the spren-adjacent idea somewhat... Not sure.

11 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

What if he breathes in the dense air but for some reason his body accepts the mist instead of rejecting it (which kills everyone else) so its kinda like a Venom thing, If you've seen the first movie.

Just now, Shardwatcher01 said:

What if he breathes in the dense air but for some reason his body accepts the mist instead of rejecting it (which kills everyone else) so its kinda like a Venom thing, If you've seen the first movie.

I have not seen the movie, but I think I get what you mean. Though should the mist just immediately kill them, or drive them insane, or something else?

Just now, The Aspiring Archivist said:

I have not seen the movie, but I think I get what you mean. Though should the mist just immediately kill them, or drive them insane, or something else?

I think it should just like rot them from the inside, killing them in a few hours/days

19 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Wait. Little bit of a different approach. But only royal blood can have these powers, but he gets them from inhaling the mist yk. We can follow three viewpoints. 1. the village kid who gains the powers from the mists. 2. The second oldest princess, who loves books and writing, but decides to leave with her own more feminine powers (i have no idea what theyll be im just putting thoughts down) when she sees her father, king, doing something bad with the powers, and the king, who thinks hes doing good by keeping the magic in the royal blood, to keep it pure, so he kills anyone with them. The kid needs to protect the village from the king coming in to their valley to kill everyone and take the mist rocks because his like broke or something in and earthquake and his kingdom needs like power, because im thinking the mist should be able to like power whatever weird machines they have yk? it just kinda helps them with their society.