Theory: Complex Ruin and Preservation

The Frostbourne

I will have been far from the first to relate my story of lurking here on the threads, then finally coming up with a theory that makes joining worthwile. However, I am not fully able to come to a conclusion on this, and I have not been able to fully flesh it out. Thus, I would like some peer critiques and comments. Tear it apart, raise it to fanon. I do not especially care, I just wnat to appease my mind, and get this idea out of my head.

And straight into yours.

In essence, my Idea is this: rather than being simply opposites, Ruin and Preservation contrast much more convolutedly, and much more completely, in a way that is comparable to the sixteen Allomantic powers.

The positive side of this theory is that, in theory, it makes sense. Each is opposite, but in specific ways, such as how Ruin takes control of Spiked individuals, while Preservation "frees" Allomancers by removing the need of metals to burn temporarily. There are further cases, such as Atium versus Lerasium (sp?).

The negative side, and the reason I'm posting, is twofold. Firstly, I feel as though I'n missing something obvious. I'm no fact buff when it comes to the series, so if, say page 247of Book Three says that they are simply one versus the other, with no complexity, then this theory is instantly Kaput. The second problem is the one I'm having trouble with, though. I can see clearly in my head how Ruin and Preservation would fill the circular chart, yet I can't seem to come up with anything, such as why Ruin would be External Physical, while Preservation was Internal Mental. I'm just not equipped with the time or knowledge to fill in the gaps.

Thus, I turn this bare-boned work you you, kandras, to be given flesh and life. Or to be beaten to powder by giant metal hammers.

I can shed a little light on some of the things:

... while Preservation "frees" Allomancers by removing the need of metals to burn temporarily.

And Brandon says...

1. Preservation can fuel Allomancy, (Minus Atium.) but can Ruin fuel Hemalurgy? (Or Atium?) And could Sazed fuel all three Metallic Arts?

1. Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts. Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike. Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy. But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.

Oh! And this too:

8. Are Shards all paired? Does Endowment have a counterpart?

ANSWER: RAFO. Also, yes and no. Not all Shards have perfect counterparts like Ruin and Preservation.

9. Why were Ruin and Preservation linked together?

ANSWER: Because they're such perfect opposites. Basically it's just an opposites attract thing.

• Chaos locked this topic