Gold and Esscence Marks

The Ja

I had an idea, and a quick search didn't pop up any results.  Since the magics of the Cosmere can kind of be crossed, it seems to me that an Oracle (a gold misting) born in MaiPon would have a lot more power than most Forgers. 

Shai tells us that an Essence Mark takes about two years to make.  However, using gold, you can immediately see what you would be like if you had made different choices.  Since this is essentially what Essence Marks do, I think that a person with both Forging and Gold could make Essence Marks in almost an assembly like style.  Any ideas on if this would work or not?  If it would, you could have a very powerful Forger out there.

It depends on Gold's abilities really. In Mistborn, when Vin uses Gold, she sees two alternate versions of herself. She also has some knowledge of their past and how they got there which she narrates to us. That knowledge is the key. Forging an essence stamp has two steps - research and engraving. The Augur/Forger in question would still be required to learn the engraving and the skills to interpret the research into the necessary sequences.

The research, however, is the bulk of the time spent making an essence stamp. Vin was shocked, confused, and distressed when she activated Gold. A calm headed, prepared, experienced Augur could potentially have much greater and deeper knowledge, and would record that knowledge. No need to touch the visions. The emotional stress produced when using Augur abilities is an issue, however. Presumably, every time you use gold, some parts of your cognitive identity overlap with those possibilities, causing distress and potentially changing you as a person (some people have suggested this is what turned the lawmaker Miles into the criminal Miles - too much burning gold caused him to change somewhat into one of his alternate versions).

Provided you could overcome, mitigate, or adapt to the identity issue, and that you could train yourself to have great insights into your other selves and keep presence of mind to record them...

You would probably be an awesome Forger.

As soon as I saw Kurk my mind went. "Here is a thread that might interest you."

I could definitely see that being a powerful combo, although it's my opinion that all Elantrian magics become way OP when combined with other powers.

As soon as I saw Kurk my mind went. "Here is a thread that might interest you."

Well you'll have to work on your psychic powers, as my post is completely different from that... :P

• Chaos locked this topic