Adolin's shardplate (spoilers)

Degamound

Hey, i was just wondering if there was a earlier instance where shardhelemts were able to adapt to bright lights, Adolin's shardhelmet was able to match the glare that was produced by the parshendi lighting; His helm-which as always was partially translucent from he inside-darkened in a jagged streak, perfectly overlaying the lighting Wor (980).

This struck me as odd when i reread the scene i couldn't recall if there was an earlier instance of this happening but as i read the scene i saw some other instances of the Adolins shardplate acting peculiar.

He looked down at the armor, which was vibrating softly-a hum that rattled his skin in a strangely comforting way.Wor 980

Adolin had been close to lightning strikes before but he doesn't mention a comforting vibration so what happened right at this particular lighting strike,the previous lightning strikes also avoid him the first strikes at his horse after that the parshendi try to hit him but they curve off or strike around him and the parshendi aren't anticipating this as they are befuddled by the lightning reacting different them they had anticipated.

is the plate repelling the lightning or is there another reason that the lightning avoids him, but either reason causes odd affects to happen to the plate.

I was pretty sure that the lightning actually hit Adolin, but did not damage - hence Adolin's sudden encouragement that his Shards were designed to kill Voidbringers. It also seemed that this initial strike caused this "anti-voidbringer like" behaviour, though that's my own speculation. 

"Lightning flashed right at Adolin. The sound was incredible, and the light. He stood in place, blinded. When it faded, he found himself completely unharmed.

I don't think Adolin would have made note of being unharmed unless it actually struck him. 

There's a WoB that Shardplate is an item with inherent Investiture, and that items like it are really hard to affect with Investiture-granted abilities (eg, lashing, metal-pulling, etc.)  That would explain why many of them had gone off-target, missed, etc.

As for how the Plate reacted when it was hit: I think an excellent question to ask is if this is how the Plate would react for anyone under similar circumstances, or if it's because of an interaction between the Plate and Adolin. In other words, were the cool peculiarities we saw unique to Plate being worn by (proto)Radiants, or the inherent properties of Plate itself?

Automatically adjusting to protect his vision from bright light could be something done automatically (we have that technology today), or something that occurs as a prelude to summoning and dismissing the helm altogether at will.  I'm very inclined to think that it's just a property of the Plate, but it would be interesting to see if there are any other mentions of what occurs near lightning or sudden flashes of bright light while wearing Plate.

There's a WoB that Shardplate is an item with inherent Investiture, and that items like it are really hard to affect with Investiture-granted abilities (eg, lashing, metal-pulling, etc.)  That would explain why many of them had gone off-target, missed, etc.

As for how the Plate reacted when it was hit: I think an excellent question to ask is if this is how the Plate would react for anyone under similar circumstances, or if it's because of an interaction between the Plate and Adolin. In other words, were the cool peculiarities we saw unique to Plate being worn by (proto)Radiants, or the inherent properties of Plate itself?

Automatically adjusting to protect his vision from bright light could be something done automatically (we have that technology today), or something that occurs as a prelude to summoning and dismissing the helm altogether at will.  I'm very inclined to think that it's just a property of the Plate, but it would be interesting to see if there are any other mentions of what occurs near lightning or sudden flashes of bright light while wearing Plate.

Thanks for the WoB on the shardplate, investiture not affecting the plate very well is good explanation as to why the lightning doesn't strike Adolin  thank you kaellok for the info

As to the when the plate gets struck that is an excellent question, i am of the idea that the peculiarities are of a (proto)Radiants if they are then it might help explain how the shardplate is made. I have thought that Adolin was going to be a Radiant for sometime now, i think that he is going to be a stoneward.Maybe this is some foreshadowing about Adolin and how the plate is forged.

"He looked down at the armor, which was vibrating softly'' this is interesting since the surge of tension is the soft axial Interconnection, maybe the shardplate is created from their surge.

We know that, in the same battle, Teleb was killed and he was wearing one of the shardplates. Killing a shardbearer is supposed to be extremely difficult and I was sadden Brandon did not give us more clues as to how he died. Teleb must have been a quite high ranked ligheyes as he inherited the first full suit Adolin won. Captain Kahl, who was Adolin's right hand man (and supervisor) during the Plateau runs had to wait for the next win. I am thus tempted to think Teleb was not an untrained nobody, he must have been quite good. He was also given command of Roion's army.

As for the suit, it could be Adolin works with his better or it could be the suit just behaves the same no matter who wears it. From one of Dalinar's vision, we know Adolin's suit was most likely one taken from a Dustbringer.

To me, it definitely seemed like the Shardplate was actually reacting to the battle, and adapting. The first couple of lightening strikes affected him greatly, as did the light from them. But after the second time he gets hit is when it starts to darken out the lightening on his visor. 

To be honest, seeing "Adolin's Shardplate (Spoilers)" made me think of the Shallan Adolin cafe scene, and Adolin 'spoiling' his shardplate. 

To me, it definitely seemed like the Shardplate was actually reacting to the battle, and adapting. The first couple of lightening strikes affected him greatly, as did the light from them. But after the second time he gets hit is when it starts to darken out the lightening on his visor. 

To be honest, seeing "Adolin's Shardplate (Spoilers)" made me think of the Shallan Adolin cafe scene, and Adolin 'spoiling' his shardplate. 

I would die to get a POV from Adolin while in battle in wondering if he should or not do it....

Adolin: "damnation, I knew I should not have eaten that chicken.... Renarin was right, it DID smell bad...."

Hacking through Parshendi.

Adolin: "I really neeeeeeeeed to go..... Idiot chicken. Storm-cursed idiot for eating this idiot chicken. Why did Renarin waited till I eated the whole thing before telling me it smelled fouled?"

Grunting while hacking through some more Parshendi.

Adolin: "What would Shallan think? I will never hear the end of it... Oh storm I really cannot hold it any longer........"

Adolin: "That's it. I will never eat chicken again. Storming Renarin."

Random Parshendi: "Yack, what's that smell? Is that coming from HIM?"

Oh sorry, I got carried away....

maxal- I must have missed it (how could I miss it???) but how do we know his Plate came from a Dustbringer?

As for how the Plate reacted- what we probably should ask is what IS a Plate, exactly? An Invested object, okay, but is it Spren, like the Blades? Maybe each Order used their Spren's 'cousins' (much like windspren being Syl's 'cousins'), forming a secondary Bond with one/more (we do have a WoB that a person can bond more than one Spren somewhere) and Infused them with Stormlight, thus creating the Plates?

Then, when the lightning struck Adolin, it acted like an elrctric shock on the dead(?) Spren, and much like starting a heart, the Spren partially 'awoke' and adapted to protecting Adolin from further strikes?

Lots of speculations. Wish we did know just what exactly are those Plates and how they are formed...

maxal- I must have missed it (how could I miss it???) but how do we know his Plate came from a Dustbringer?

Dalinar's vision in WoR. He sees Dustbringers fighting and he comes face to face with one wearing a plate he swears could have been Adolin's except the person wearing it was a women. I may be wrong in my interpretation of this passage, but I felt it meant his plate originally belong to a Dustbringer. Now if only his shardblade could be the blade that went with that suit... how awesome would that be.

As for how the Plate reacted- what we probably should ask is what IS a Plate, exactly? An Invested object, okay, but is it Spren, like the Blades? Maybe each Order used their Spren's 'cousins' (much like windspren being Syl's 'cousins'), forming a secondary Bond with one/more (we do have a WoB that a person can bond more than one Spren somewhere) and Infused them with Stormlight, thus creating the Plates?

Then, when the lightning struck Adolin, it acted like an elrctric shock on the dead(?) Spren, and much like starting a heart, the Spren partially 'awoke' and adapted to protecting Adolin from further strikes?

Lots of speculations. Wish we did know just what exactly are those Plates and how they are formed...

I do not think the plates themselves have spren in them... If they did, wouldn't Renarin heart it screaming? So far, we have seen no KR having any issues with the plates... However, I do think the bond must "improve" the plate somehow, making it more grant, useful? Lots of things are happening to Adolin at the end of WoR, but in this passage, I felt his plate was coming to life, briefly. I guess you theory makes sense except I believe the plate does not harbor a spren. If a spren was involved, than it was another one (the one from his shardblade maybe?).

Another question would be: would it have done the same for anyone wearing it? Teleb was killed in the same battle..... but sadly we don't know how.

• Chaos locked this topic