How Hoid Moves Forward in Time

Stalagmite

We have WoB that Hoid can move forward in time, but does not live all of those years. Allomancy can be used to make time bubbles that move the user forward in time and it's implied that compounding can enhance allomancy as well. Hoid is a feruchemist, and quite likely a mistborn as well. So I think that Hoid uses feruchemy to enhance allomantic Cadmium and move forward in time.

Edit: nevermind, misread your post

Hoid is a Feruchemist? How'd he get his hands on Sazedium? (Or is it Sazium?)

I always assumed his timeliness was due to not being related to Kelsier.

Or Yolish magic.

Edit: nevermind, misread your post

You can hide your post. Its the button between edit and multiquote. Edited by Stroniax

• 5 months later...

This quote Vikachu posted in the time travel thread made me think of how Hoid moves forward...

>He's been alive since Dragonsteel. However, he may not have spent all of that time awake and alert.

What caught my eye was the use of the word awake. Maybe he uses Bronze Feruchemy to sleep through the years. It could be possible that storing wakefulness doesn't age you. Or, the Atium-Bronze alloy in Feruchemy could store wakefulness while pausing aging (It makes sense as well in that it is a combination of Atium (age) and Bronze (sleeping)).

• 2 weeks later...

If nothing else, once Hoid has his Allomantic abilities (he definitely has them by Way of Kings, assuming he ate that bead he took, he could be a Mistborn as early as Hero of Ages) he could be using Bendalloy; (I'm pretty sure it's Bendalloy that'd be useful for moving forward in time, not Cadmium as in the original post), but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons.

According to the coppermind, Bendalloy increases times passage only 8-fold, which is a decidedly slow way to travel through time.  Granted, it's possible that the more you flare your Bendalloy, the faster time moves (other possibility is that flaring increases the size of the bubble), but still it's unlikely to be a very efficient way to move through time at its best.

Plus, Bendalloy's pretty rare/expensive, so it'd be a REALLY expensive way to get through time, as well.

Plus, that leaves the question open of how Hoid moved through time before he was an Allomancer, (assuming he didn't just move normally through time prior to Mistborn); so I suspect there's a different answer to this question than Allomancy.

If nothing else, once Hoid has his Allomantic abilities (he definitely has them by Way of Kings, assuming he ate that bead he took, he could be a Mistborn as early as Hero of Ages) he could be using Bendalloy; (I'm pretty sure it's Bendalloy that'd be useful for moving forward in time, not Cadmium as in the original post), but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons.

According to the coppermind, Bendalloy increases times passage only 8-fold, which is a decidedly slow way to travel through time.  Granted, it's possible that the more you flare your Bendalloy, the faster time moves (other possibility is that flaring increases the size of the bubble), but still it's unlikely to be a very efficient way to move through time at its best.

Plus, Bendalloy's pretty rare/expensive, so it'd be a REALLY expensive way to get through time, as well.

Plus, that leaves the question open of how Hoid moved through time before he was an Allomancer, (assuming he didn't just move normally through time prior to Mistborn); so I suspect there's a different answer to this question than Allomancy.

It's cadmium that causes time to pass by quicker inside the bubble, but I like the general concept. One thing he could be doing is burning duralumin and cadmium, which would be interesting and quick... if he could afford it.

I don't think the theory works, though, because we've seen other worldhoppers who wouldn't have access to that trick. Demoux, for example, appears hundreds of years after the original trilogy, and no signs point towards him having picked up Feruchemical atium.

@General thread:

Going by Jasnah's weird timeline in WoR (see my post here), I'm going to go ahead and say the time dilation is likely due to Shadesmar.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic