Making a Mistborn

Tempus

I was thinking about Alloy of Law, and I came to a theory about how one might go about making a Mistborn. I'm almost certain others have thought of this before me, but as usual a ten minute search turned up not much, so please link me to any relevant theories prior. Here goes.

Mistborn:

Recipes makes one Mistborn

Ingredients:

• Two Mistings of every type
  • Two Hemalurgic spikes for each Allomantic metal (can substitute Atium in a pinch!)
  • Two candidates, one male and one female

Instructions:

Take each Misting, and spike them in the appropriate location with the corresponding allomantic spike, stealing their ability and killing them in the process. Tying them up and rendering them unconscious can make this step easier. Apply each finished spike immediately to one of the recipient candidates. Each candidate should get one allomantic spike of each type. 

One all sixteen spikes have been applied to the two candidates, allow candidates to recover. Once their condition is improved and they do not scream when touched, place both candidates in an enclosed room with a bed. For higher chances of a successful Mistborn, add flowers, a nice dinner, some white, and lounge music.

Wait nine months, and remove baby from candidate. If everything has gone to plan, you should have a natural and unspiked little Mistborn. Snap and Serve.

This process seems legit--I bet it could work. I would just add that you'd better have quite a few Soothers and Rioters present, because you now how have a pair of very angry and romantically bonded Inquisitors trying to escape and slaughter everybody

Edited by Kobold King

I´m not convinced that Inquisitors can even have children (that are human), with them being mutants that have a patchwork SDNA and all that.

WoB:

CHAOS

Can Inquisitors still breed through human reproductive methods?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes

There are no caveats, so I'm guessing that the garbled sDNA doesn't actually have any ill effects on offspring. There is a very strong possibility of my being wrong on this, however.

Would the parents sDNA even be passed on to their offspring? Seeing as it isn't part of their true sDNA, it is only stapled on.

ZAS678 (REDDIT.COM)

You've said that Inquisitors could have children. Would those children have a better chance at being Allomancers compared to if they had the kids before they were Inquisitors?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, but there also could be...complications.

Q: If you have a series of Inquisitors, like a family of Inquisitors having children for generations over...

A: Would the Hemalurgy influence the sDNA of the children? Is that what you are asking? That is a hypothesis that has merit in the way the magic system works. It is not a supposition to be discarded out of hand.

So.. Kinda?

Even more fun with inheritance? Forging. Essence Stamp yourself, get jiggy, and invest your kids with some improved DNA.

As for the usefulness of birthing a Mistborn instead of just using the inquisitors, it's all about legacy. The Lord Ruler bred the Terrispeople, and achieved a nearly unbroken amount of full feruchemists, with no ferrings at large. Using the spike techniques judiciously, and number of twinborns for genetic diversity, you could produce a group of people with specific genetics that would consistently breed Twinborns, Mistborns, Feruchemists, Mistborn/Ferrings, Feruchemist/Mistings, and Twinawesomes. A small nation or society who achieved and maintained that would have significant power on Scadrial.

Edited by Tempus

I doubt anyone will be able to breed a Mistborn in this trilogy; I think it's more a feint by Brandon to distract us from their true intentions - Hemalurgy, which is why Marsh gave that book to Marasi.

However, I am very interested in knowing how a Mistborn came to exist during the modern trilogy... maybe their breeding plans worked after all? Someone continued it after Wax (supposedly) beats the bad guys?

Well, he might decide that humanity deserves it, or needs it, or it might play into the long-term plan that has humanity reaching the stars.

I find it amusing that the answer to "is there anybody out there" is "yes, and they're magical." in the cosmere

I have honestly been assuming all this time that this was what happened - that Wax and Wayne's secret society was aiming to cross-breed a mistborn by stealing females to breed with, and that Alloy of Law and sequels are more like prequels to the second Mistborn trilogy, laying down a bit of the Mistborn backstory. The hemalurgy theory was just an aside, a faster way to get things done than I suspect they were doing.

Well, he might decide that humanity deserves it, or needs it, or it might play into the long-term plan that has humanity reaching the stars.

I find it amusing that the answer to "is there anybody out there" is "yes, and they're magical." in the cosmere

Or maybe Southern people would learn to concentrate Mists into beads with their machinery. Many possibilities.

As for the idea: you'd get a child that is more likely to be a Mistborn, and you are not guaranteed one. Also, there are "complications". Frankly, IMO, those mistings are better used in breeding sentient twinawesome cats, as I have proposed before <_<

So.. Kinda?

Interesting... then what would happen if you gave a group of people a Spike for all the different Shards magic systems (or as many as they can withstand having.)  and forced them to procreate? How many different Systems would the children be able to access before it compromised their health? 4? 5? More?

Even more fun with inheritance? Forging. Essence Stamp yourself, get jiggy, and invest your kids with some improved DNA.

Can Essence Stamps change physical DNA? I thought they could only change someone's past, which would not be hereditary.

Interesting... then what would happen if you gave a group of people a Spike for all the different Shards magic systems (or as many as they can withstand having.)  and forced them to procreate? How many different Systems would the children be able to access before it compromised their health? 4? 5? More?

And if it did compromise their health, think of the Ashyn Investiture they'd be able to access!

Can Essence Stamps change physical DNA? I thought they could only change someone's past, which would not be hereditary.

Soulstamps change the history of a thing or person. The history of a person includes their ancestors, their conception, etc. So it is at least theoretically possibly, though no telling how plausible it would be within the system or what effects it would have. I tend to lean towards 'fewer effects, and more plausible' because I believe Forging works by rewriting the both the spiritual aspects governing the connection of things and the cognitive aspects of an object (like soulcasting). Changing your own history to say something like "My mother had a regressive Aonic gene in there" would be a moderately plausible thing to change if you had an accurate family tree and some knowledge of travellers, and would be a relatively convincing cognitive change.

At that point, it's kind of like soulcasting - "Dear cognitive bead thing, here is the most plausible thing and reason for you to change into something, please change" - "OK".

Take that as you will.

Makes you wonder how they view people born with disabilitys. Could they even be desireable in some parts of Ashyn?

I also got the feeling the diseases were required to be viral or bacterial from the readings, but the above would open up a whole bag of worms.

Pregnancies would be.... atypical. Fetal alcohol syndrome all over the place to give their kids a number of deformities and damages. Exposing themselves to trauma, carcinogens, drugs, radiation, and other things would occur to give their kids 'a leg up' in life by giving them unique abilities.

Chronic illnesses would be valued. Obesity would be a useful trait, to assist in causing cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Cancer would be a gift, in it's myriad forms. Respiratory diseases from inhaling fumes would be valued. Tobacco would be considered a simple, long term way of gaining a number of powers.

Mental institutions would be important parts of society - convincing crazy people to use their powers productively, and guiding the mentally disabled to use theirs intelligently would be a valued task.

Basically, a whole pile of marginalized groups in today's modern societies would reverse and turn from being considered to be social drains and generally bad, to valued and useful things.

Edited by Tempus