Messing With Metalminds

Silus - Shard of Flame

"I write these words in steel for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted."

~Kwaan, MB2 Epigraphs

But wait, if Ruin can't affect metal, how can he mess with a Feruchemist's copperminds?

Well, Ruin can affect metal in certain ways.

Brandon has said that Ruin and Preservation can fuel their respective magic systems, leading to events like Vin using the mists to fight off thirteen Inquisitors at once. He also said that they can both fuel Feruchemy.

That would mean that they can fill metalminds, even copperminds.

So if you're a Shard who wants to manipulate a few prophecies to get yourself out of prison, how do you do it? You rewrite the prophecies by filling copperminds with different versions of the prophecies you want to change.

Sound good to you guys?

Huh. Yeah, that's probably the simplest explanation for that mechanism. Good job.

I'd expand upon that, Realmatically, information (or power) stored in a metalmind isn't located in the Physical Realm, but the Cognitive or Spiritual. Sure, Ruin is blind to metal, but that's Physical. Once you are moving Physical properties magically, it's now becoming the Spiritual aspect of the metal, which Ruin could then manipulate.

Compared with just writing words on metal, it blinds Ruin. That's Physical. I guess he wouldn't be blind to the Spiritual part of the metal once you put Feruchemical charges on it.

"I write these words in steel for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted."

~Kwaan, MB2 Epigraphs

But wait, if Ruin can't affect metal, how can he mess with a Feruchemist's copperminds?

Well, Ruin can affect metal in certain ways.

Brandon has said that Ruin and Preservation can fuel their respective magic systems, leading to events like Vin using the mists to fight off thirteen Inquisitors at once. He also said that they can both fuel Feruchemy.

That would mean that they can fill metalminds, even copperminds.

So if you're a Shard who wants to manipulate a few prophecies to get yourself out of prison, how do you do it? You rewrite the prophecies by filling copperminds with different versions of the prophecies you want to change.

Sound good to you guys?

That---seems to fit the bill nicely. The separation into the three realms certainly could explain that oddity.

On the other hand, I would definitely put the Feruchemical ability to store memory in the Cognitive realm, not Spiritual.

Huh. Yeah, that's probably the simplest explanation for that mechanism. Good job.

I'd expand upon that, Realmatically, information (or power) stored in a metalmind isn't located in the Physical Realm, but the Cognitive or Spiritual. Sure, Ruin is blind to metal, but that's Physical. Once you are moving Physical properties magically, it's now becoming the Spiritual aspect of the metal, which Ruin could then manipulate.

Compared with just writing words on metal, it blinds Ruin. That's Physical. I guess he wouldn't be blind to the Spiritual part of the metal once you put Feruchemical charges on it.

Yet it would also be hard for Ruin to mess with other types of Feruchemical charges - how would he decay strength or health in an intelligent way? Coppermind memories are one thing - altering memories is a HUGE ability - but physical attributes are tougher.

That---seems to fit the bill nicely. The separation into the three realms certainly could explain that oddity.

On the other hand, I would definitely put the Feruchemical ability to store memory in the Cognitive realm, not Spiritual.

But no other Feruchemical attribute makes sense to be stored in the Cognitive Realm. How could wakefulness, speed, or weight be considered Cognitive? For this reason it makes sense for all attributes to be stored in the Spiritual component of the metalmind.

Oh, thought - when charged, the Physical and Cognitive aspects of a metalmind or Hemalurgic spike remain unchanged, but the Spiritual aspect is enhanced and possibly even 'flavored' either Feruchemically or Hemalurgically. This Spiritual aspect is what provides power for Allomancy - and why it hurts to burn a Hemalurgic spike. (fact check?) This would account for the disproportion of energy gained from certain metals: the faster burning metals have a lot of Spiritual energy, and they try to give it to you all at once while the slow-burners don't have as much Spiritual energy - so you have to keep burning it to get at it. It's almost like compounding Feruchemical charges - you can become twice as strong for X minutes, or four times as strong for X/6 minutes because a lot of that energy is lost compounding the rest.

I think I'm rambling at this point, I'll let you guys discuss.

Yet it would also be hard for Ruin to mess with other types of Feruchemical charges - how would he decay strength or health in an intelligent way? Coppermind memories are one thing - altering memories is a HUGE ability - but physical attributes are tougher.

Also consider that before Ruin was released he could only alter the memories in a coppermind very subtly. Perhaps he could effect, let say a pewtermind, but the strength Ruin could add or subtract would likely be very tiny.

• Chaos locked this topic