WOR SPOILERS (just in case) Splintering

poww10s

So in Words Of Radiance chapter 63 we see wit (Hoid) say this:

Wit said, "and for that reason I must go. I cannot risk too much, because if he finds me, then I become nothing - a soul shredded and broken into pieces that cannot be reassembled. What I do here is more dangerous than you could ever no."

This is followed by:

"Wit", Dalinar called.
"Yes?"
"If who finds you?"
"The one you fight, Dalinar Kholin. The father of hatred." Wit saluted then jogged off.

So either we are seeing that odium can splinter anyone's soul. Or that Hoid is something more. We can gather from the second letter from the the mystery person to Hoid, that hoid is capable of coming back to life perhaps. With the person asking him something about his incarnation.
So perhaps hoid isn't just regular but a type of force perhaps similar to a shard that let's do all the things he does. (I.e. the various magic systems.) If so, then perhaps because of this odium can splinter him like a shard. And perhaps hoid has either lost his connection to his sDNA or his spiritual part, or it has changed letting him use the various abilities he has. Someone else on the forums stated that in their personilization they where told that a common view of the spiritual realm would be heaven although it is not entirely right, this may be why he would be shattered and unable to be reassembled because he may be unable to access the spiritual realm. Thanks for reading my unorganized unformatted thoughts. Will edit when I reach a computer.

EDIT: also the respondent says in the second letter: 

" I am told that in your current incarnation you've taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues."
Edited by poww10s

I am not quite sure where the part about Hoid coming back to life comes from*... But now that I think about it, it makes sense that Odium would be able to Splinter any soul, not just Shards. If Shards are (mostly) Spiritual entities, as many of us strongly suspect, then if Odium can break that, why wouldn't he able to break a much smaller and weaker Spiritual entity, such as the human soul?

* hurr hurr, it comes from the other side, hurr durr

I am not quite sure where the part about Hoid coming back to life comes from*... 

In the letter in WoR, the respondent said: "I am told that in your current incarnation you've taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues."

In the letter in WoR, the respondent said: "I am told that in your current incarnation you've taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues."

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the name "Wit" specifically. As in, Hoid sees his wit as being one of his greatest virtues. 

I think Hoid is referring to the process of becoming one of the Unmade. Odium shreds the soul and captures it, then creates his legions of undead warriors out of dead souls that presumably can possess the living.

I think Hoid is referring to the process of becoming one of the Unmade. Odium shreds the soul and captures it, then creates his legions of undead warriors out of dead souls that presumably can possess the living.

I agree it's similar. The two quotes that convinced me are in a reply in a Parshendi thread.

It might just kill Hoid though. The Parshendi are different than humans in being closer to the Cognitive Realm. They might have given themselves willingly to the process, which might make a difference. And Hoid talks about becoming "nothing", not becoming twisted.

• Chaos locked this topic