Theory: The Attributes and the Surges

skaa

Thanks! I was going to delve into the Voids as well (I believe they are the result of an imbalance in the five balancing Attribute pairs), but my brain is complaining that it needs some sleep, the whiny little bugger.

Edited by skaa

I really like this theory. Perhaps you could give us a visual? The surgebinding chart labeled with those attributes?

Thanks! Alright, this isn't the best-looking Double Eye of the Almighty diagram, but here you go!

post-6598-0-92939400-1392601551_thumb.pn

Another thing I noticed is that Boundary and Openness are the paired Attributes that contradict each other the most, which is interesting given that the honorspren of Windrunners and the Cryptics of Lightweavers seem to have some sort of rivalry going on.

Edit: Here's an updated one.

post-6598-0-55324500-1397083472_thumb.pn

Edited by skaa

I find this theory very interesting and while being a much more comprehensive and thorough theory than my own, it came to a similar conclusion about the final surge (sort of). My theory was the chart is following the alethi script/glyph pattern and therefore is symmetrical across the center with spiritual on the right and cognitive surges on the left (I think the middle ones physical but that ones is harder to figure out). Which except for the Truth/motion pair - that seems to hold true with your chart. Since the mirror of the tenth surge was gravity (a spiritual force that bonds things), I figured the tenth must be a form of cognitive bonding (I like the term magnetism). I think our theories are both right on the money except for the Motion term you use. I think you were stretching that one - but I can't find a better term that is mirror to truth, opposite of stable, and works with law. Your the Master Mind. Any ideas?

Boundary is a force - trust is a cognitive equivalent

Law and stability are almost the same thing (though I think law more cognitive and stability more a force but that can be argued both ways I think)

Truth and motion - I don't see the connection

Openness (cognitive) and affinity (spiritual force) are basically synonyms

Edited by beef man

I think our theories are both right on the money except for the Motion term you use. I think you were stretching that one - but I can't find a better term that is mirror to truth, opposite of stable, and works with law. Your the Master Mind. Any ideas?

Well, Aristotle defines motion as the actualization of a potentiality, i.e. making something that is possible into something that is true. Do you think that sounds close enough to Truth?

I admit that I did have trouble with that attribute. I initially named it Action, but I couldn't seem to connect action with division. When I came up with Stability for Careful/Resolute, I decided that Motion made the most sense.

Anyway, you're probably right that horizontal symmetry is also important. It wasn't something I considered when I did this. Fortunately my model turned out to be horizontally symmetrical as well. :D

Edited by skaa

Ok. Try this out. switching motion and stability around. and tweaking their names  a bit

Brave + Confident = Steadfast (as in immovable) - which is a mirror of truth. Essential for law and is balanced by . . .

Resolute + Careful = Vectoring/Direction (as in going/ setting a constant path/direction) - which is a mirror of Law, dependent on truth, and balanced by immovable steadfastness (kind of like liberals and conservatives balance each other out to think of it from a political viewpoint).

Combined they still will get you the surges in the same way too. Does it still work in your theory or no? (I want to get this to work because an Ars Arcannum with the surges included showing the complete integration of the magic system would be nice. As would a Surge diagram including the attributes under the names of the Radiant Orders they represent. Then we could easily see which Herald goes to which order, their powers, attributes, essences - ect. Decode the whole system)

On another note: Again I sadly run into the problem of Law sounding more cognitive and Vectoring more a force/spiritual. Likewise Steadfast sounds like a cognitive term when I it should be an force/spiritual term for Truth. Working on that . . . though sadly it might mean my spiritual on the right and cognitive on the left is wrong (I doubt I am wrong on that though). Thinking Unmovable and Direction are the key to this but they don't sound as good when comparing to all the rest.

Edited by beef man

Ok. Try this out. switching motion and stability around. and tweaking their names  a bit

Brave + Confident = Steadfast (as in immovable) - which is a mirror of truth. Essential for law and is balanced by . . .

Resolute + Careful = Vectoring/Direction (as in going/ setting a constant path/direction) - which is a mirror of Law, dependent on truth, and balanced by immovable steadfastness (kind of like liberals and conservatives balance each other out to think of it from a political viewpoint).

Direction does indeed sound better than Stability. It sounds more philosophical, whereas stability (in reference to transporting things) sounds a bit more sciencey. I've always thought that Brandon's inspiration for the Essences was Greek Philosophy (Aristotle and Co.), so that works.

Steadfast(ness?) sounds more like Careful/Resolute than Brave/Confident. Besides, you can be brave without being steadfast (e.g. if you are brave but gullible). Okay, I misunderstood your suggestion, sorry. Still, Steadfastness doesn't sound quite right.

I still think Aristotle's definition of motion should be considered here because Truth is actuality, and Motion (making the potential actual) is also actuality, so in the context of actuality truth and (philosophical) motion are synonyms. Also, Laws direct Motion, so it all fits.

On another note: Again I sadly run into the problem of Law sounding more cognitive and Vectoring more a force/spiritual. Likewise Steadfast sounds like a cognitive term when I it should be an force/spiritual term for Truth. Working on that . . . though sadly it might mean my spiritual on the right and cognitive on the left is wrong (I doubt I am wrong on that though).

Well, there are spiritual laws, right? Gravity is a spiritual law on Roshar, after all.

Edited by skaa

If you use direction instead of stability, it is no longer a balance to motion. It would be a compliment. That is why I moved steadfast/unmovable into that position. I don't know. Its your theory. Now to make it all pretty ad create an awesome chart out of it all.

also there are spiritual laws. My theory is the three surges on the right of the chart are spiritual and the ones on the left are cognitive. spiritual laws inevitably seem to revolve around forces and cognitive around concepts. So I would want the terms used to match this idea as well and it just isn't lining up well.

Edited by beef man

If you use direction instead of stability, it is no longer a balance to motion. It would be a compliment.

There is such a thing as undirected or random motion. It is also possible to direct something to not move (in this sense, "direction" will mean "instruction"). I think both imbalances are associated with Voids (Randomness and Cessation?). I'm still in the process of forming my hypothetical list of the ten Voids, which I will post later

Edit: By the way, I just noticed that Direction (in the sense of "instruction") is another way of thinking about laws. So there is, again, horizontal symmetry (Direction<->Law).

Edited by skaa

Skaa, +1'd for your work, it is good, but I have to ask, is there a reason you didn't include the outermost vertical pairings in your vertical / horizontal extrapolation (Direction<->Truth and (Law<->Motion)?

Edited by el_warko

Skaa, +1'd for your work, it is good, but I have to ask, is there a reason you didn't include the outermost vertical pairings in your vertical / horizontal extrapolation (Direction<->Truth and (Law<->Motion)?

I was assuming that they were connected because of their Primary/Secondary relationship with Essences (Direction and Truth -> Tallow, Law and Motion -> Vapor). The same goes for all the outermost connections. I suppose it's possible that the outermost connections are significant in some other way. Any ideas?

Now that I think about it, the outermost connections seem to form a thematic continuum. Boundaries are defined by laws, which govern motion. Improvement means moving closer your affinity. Improved openness means fuller truth. Giving true directions leads to trust. People who trust their boundaries are content. Um... I have absolutely no idea what all that means for Surgebinding. :P

Edited by skaa

• Chaos locked this topic