cris34b

Navani, our beloved scientist and mother of the King, has two journal entries including pictures and notations in the Alethi script, which i recently learned to read. After translating the entries, and then learning that the translations are already online, it came to my attention that Navani has a device known as an emotion bracelet.

This bracelet allows you to detect the emotions of those around you, though it also detects your own and those of people in far off rooms, but seems to focus entirely on one person.

How it works is it focuses on one person (seemingly of it's own accord, though possibly it focuses on the closest person feeling strong emotions) and different gemstones light up, corresponding with different emotions that person is feeling. Now, with emotional spren, this doesn't seem so useful an object, but consider, we have only seen a person attract one kind of emotional spren at a time, as well as the fact that less powerful emotions will not attract spren.

Using this, since nobody knows of the existence of this fabrial that we know of except for her, Navani has put herself into an extremely powerful position. Remember how Navani has a reputation for being able to know all of the rumors in a location hours after she arrives? Perhaps she is using this device as a sort of mind-reader so to speak, using the emotions displayed+context clues to determine what is happening and what a person is thinking. I believe she is using this to help the king, since he is so inexperienced. 

My opinion of Navani has grown much at this discovery.

I don't think the device is quite so sophisticated as of yet: I'd chalk up her political acumen to political acumen, which is still impressive on its own.

Nice work translating the entries independently, by the way. :)

Took so long, since some of the writing is kinda blurred and cramped together, I kind of regret it, but at the same time, I think we'll get more Alethi writing in WoR and so will be happy to be one of the first to translate that stuff.

As for how far along the device is, it gives several examples of the results of the emotions the device picked up in certain situations, so I think it is up and running, though not sure on how effective it is.

Something I find far more interesting than the fabrial itself, are its implications: We already know of diminishing fabrials and their opposite (the term has slipped my mind). So perhaps it is possible to create fabrials that soothe or riot certain emotions, and that would certainly be a powerful tool, since Rosharans don't know it might be possible. Imagine Navani, one of the most brilliant political schemers in all of the cosmere with the powers of a soother and nobody even knows such powers exist. 

Alas, I don't think we will see such a fabrial, since the idea was used up on mistborn, but one can hope :)

• Chaos locked this topic