Time has a Cognitive Aspect?

Elbereth

This occurred to me just the other day while I was listening to my family talk about what day it felt like. Occasionally, if I have forgotten what the day is multiple times, I simply impress it on my surroundings. So, for example, if it's Tuesday but I keep thinking it's Thursday, I simply look around me and basically say, "It's Tuesday. This particular viewpoint, this feeling, means it's Tuesday." I don't know. It's something like that, though I can't explain it very well.

Anyway, that got me thinking. What if time has three aspects as well? I mean, it's not an object, but it's a dimension. Kind of.

So, basically, I started thinking about time. Mostly, I thought about its Cognitive aspect. If I thought about that with the view of a Soulcaster from The Emperor's Soul, it got kind of interesting. What if Monday wasn't just arbitrary anymore, but thought of itself as a Monday? Perhaps each month is separate because it thinks of itself as a separate month.

I don't think that's explained very well, but it's the best I could do with a thought that's not quite coherent. I still have no idea about time's Physical or Spiritual aspects.

Take that where you will.

Edited by Limelleth

Not a 100% sure I understand what you were trying to get across but I think I got the gist of it. That could put an interesting twist on achieving time travel. You don't really go anywhere, you just have to convince the current time that it is really the time you want to be in.

Edited by aWESomeness summoned

You know, I never thought of that. Though I'm not sure how you could stamp time, If you could, that would be really neat.

Also, I'm not quite certain what I'm trying to get across either. Maybe I shouldn't have posted until I got it straightened out in my head, but it's too late now. Oh well.

Also, I'm not quite certain what I'm trying to get across either. Maybe I shouldn't have posted until I got it straightened out in my head, but it's too late now. Oh well.

That's the great thing about a forums like this is that we get to discuss and beat things out together. 

I like the theory, and I'm wondering if there could be an equivalent spren to a "Wednesday spren" in Roshar where Cognitive aspects really seem to be very expressed. Could a Parshendi that bonded to a Wednesday spren always stay in Wednesday? It sounds somewhat silly, but I'd imagine there could be some interesting possibilities.

Hmm, maybe this is even how Hoid travels through time? Maybe he found the little glass bead in Shadesmar that represents time, and somehow kept it with him, or maybe hid it somewhere in Shadesmar where he could find it, and so infuses it with investiture whenever he wants to move forward in time, or maybe, since when Jasnah infused the palace's bead, the other beads formed into the shape of the palace, perhaps he infused the bead and the other beads arranged themselves into the shape of the structure of time, and he has managed to study this in a way that lets him move forward in time, but not backwards because of something I once heard Stephen Hawking say.

Because of the way time works, you could theoretically move forward, but attempting to move backwards would be similar to putting a microphone next to it's speaker, the sound keeps amplifying until the speaker burns out.

The waves of time traveling back in time and heading back through the time tunnel you made would move forward in time, encounter your portal, meet new time waves, amplify, go forward in time, and keep rebounding until the portal, actually happening in an instant, would close, because though it took so many years to reach your time, it was instant for you in perspective, making going backwards impossible, but forwards a feasible, if a one-way, option. 

Sorry if that seems a little muddled, and in all honesty, the idea of time having a representation in Shadesmar terrifies me, since that would be an impossibly powerful glass bead. Makes you wonder, do the Highstorms have beads? How about Roshar itself? Maybe even Cultivation has an all-powerful bead sitting around in that pool of glass somewhere. Saying it like that, Pool of Glass... makes Shadesmar sound like an unconventional Shardpool. I can't decide if I want that or not.

Edited by cris34b

I don't believe time would have an aspect in any realm, any more than space should. They are merely dimensions, universal to all three realms, that contain everything. It's the matter and energy that fill those dimensions that have separate aspects across the three realms.

However, I do think the ideas we connect to certain periods of time most certainly could have their own aspects. The concept of a Tuesday, or a Thursday, are not inherent to time: they are arbitrary distinctions we make, just thoughts, and as such would have their own aspects. But since they aren't actually essential to how time itself works, but how we comprehend it, I don't think you could actually time-travel or otherwise manipulate time with them. What you can do with them, though, I'm not sure. Maybe you could fool with someone's perception of time?

It's probably worth making a note here regarding allomancy. Specifically Pulsers and Sliders (Cadmium and Bendalloy burners respectively). They are able to create a bubble in which either makes the world outside appear to move slower or faster, respectively. I don't know how Allomancy works in regards to the 3 realms, but it would interact somehow (its a cosmere book).

I think we might maybe have WoB that it actually changes the amount of energy experienced in the time bubbles, so an object going into and then out of one actually loses and then gains/gains and than loses an equal amount of energy (not accounting for the random jolt that makes shooting from inside time bubbles annoying.

• Chaos locked this topic