Rosharian prayer burning (Again)

Voidus

I can't believe I only just thought of this connection but I just realised the connection between Selian form-based magic and this, along with Odium having visited Sel, so I'm thinking that it's possible that since he's been to Sel that Odium picked up the focus-blindness to forms there, and this lore has been passed down and eventually become adopted by Vorin culture as prayer-burning. Now feel free to shoot me down and point out who theorised this before me :P

A theory: Odium has slowly corrupted Vorinism over the years and introduced this fine tradition somewhere along the line. The Radiant's Shardplate has glyphs on them that aren't burned away, so why would regular people want to burn their protective glyphs? Making your enemy's religious burn their own prayers strikes me as suitably petty for someone like Rayse.

Edited by Moogle

I always took it as, "metals are Invested on Scadrial, therefore any Shard would be metalblind on Scadrial", and "Forms are Invested on Sel, therefore any Shard would be formblind on Sel," but I suppose I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened.

Are you proposing that Odium is still Invested in Sel? Because otherwise, I'm not sure why it would stick with him. I doubt if Harmony left Scadrial he'd still be blind to metal.

Probably not deliberately but Splintering two Shards has got to require a fair amount of Shardic power, might be enough to give him form-blindness for a while.

Probably not deliberately but Splintering two Shards has got to require a fair amount of Shardic power, might be enough to give him form-blindness for a while.

Couple centuries? I would think it's pretty much dissipated by this time. Burning things to send them to the gods is a pretty universal tradition. I don't think I'd read a ton into it.

Couple centuries? I would think it's pretty much dissipated by this time. Burning things to send them to the gods is a pretty universal tradition. I don't think I'd read a ton into it.

Doesn't have to still be true, the tradition could have started centuries ago, even though it's now pretty useless. I agree that it could just be a cultural adaption that took it's inspiration from some of our cultures, I just thought it was an interesting coincidence that might have something behind it.

• Chaos locked this topic