So, here's my second foray into the forums with this theory:

I think the Set may have the location of Atium. We know that it takes about 300 years for Atium to regrow, and it's been around that time. I think it may be in the Pits of Eltania. (A location mentioned in the 'Broadsheet' pages of AoL, which supposedly has Koloss. I don't know the reliability of these sheets, though- they honestly seem a lot like tabloids. :P ) Anyway, in the Final Empire Scadrial, the Kandra (A hemalurgic creation) guarded the Atium. Could it be the Koloss' assignment now? Just an idea.

It's obvious that Edwarn needed Wax to come to the city, so another Atium related theory I have is that Bloody Tan was an Atium Misting. I have thought long and hard about how he killed Lessie, but were he able to burn Atium, jerking Lessie in the path of Wax's shot would have been simple. This was the catalyst that sent Wax to Elendel, so... Just an idea. :)

Anyone want to chime in?? :)

Edited by loganmathewjohnson

Bloody Tan being a Seer had been my thought, but then I read this (go to question 10).

I actually re-read it and I think the whole thing might be less mystical than we think (although a bunch of people think he was burning electrum, which gave him just enough of his own future-sight to pull it off). Wax and Lessie had a blink-code going, and this was a move they'd pulled off frequently in the past. I think it's possible that Tan simply knew how to count down with them, and that's how he pulled it off. I grant you, it's not a perfect theory, but I'm keeping my eye out to see if I can't figure out more.

I think the Set may have the location of Atium. We know that it takes about 300 years for Atium to regrow, and it's been around that time. I think it may be in the Pits of Eltania. (A location mentioned in the 'Broadsheet' pages of AoL, which supposedly has Koloss. I don't know the reliability of these sheets, though- they honestly seem a lot like tabloids. :P ) Anyway, in the Final Empire Scadrial, the Kandra (A hemalurgic creation) guarded the Atium. Could it be the Koloss' assignment now? Just an idea.

The problem is that why would Sazed allow the pits to reform?  The pits were originally put into place to forcefully deprive Ruin of some of his power by trapping it into a physical form, namely the atium.  Sazed really has no reason to continue that particular mechanism.  This inteview at least seems to indicate that he won't.

The problem is that why would Sazed allow the pits to reform?  The pits were originally put into place to forcefully deprive Ruin of some of his power by trapping it into a physical form, namely the atium.  Sazed really has no reason to continue that particular mechanism.  This inteview at least seems to indicate that he won't.

Here's another quote:http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977#174

In Alloy of Law, evidence is uncovered that the bad guys are attempting to breed a Mistborn. The time span of the gap between this and the original Mistborn trilogy, perhaps with the interval I vaguely remember being stated for between Alloy and the next main trilogy added, is suspiciously close to 300 years. Does the organization Wax's father is part of know the location of the Pits of Hathsin, or otherwise have access to Atium, either now (as of Alloy) or in the time period of the planned second trilogy?
Brandon Sanderson
You are on the right track

So...yes it looks like the atium is reforming, or is about to, and someone knows something about it.

Bloody Tan being a Seer had been my thought, but then I read this (go to question 10).

Guys, I LOVE the forums. Extremely helpful, and I even have fun when my theories are wrong!! Anyway, I digress. 

So, Bloody Tan was either burning Poor Man's Atium, or was just clever. Ok. But it seems like my idea about the Set has a little founding, which was the basis for the Bloody Tan idea. Atium will probably be coming back...

Here's my idea relating to that. So, we know Ati was a good guy before he was a Shard. (The Letter) But the shard affected his personality... I think there's a term for that I can't remember, but whatever. So, what if Sazed is trying to avoid drastic changes to his personality, and have a little more Preservation than Ruin in him, by allowing the Pits to reform?

So, what if Sazed is trying to avoid drastic changes to his personality, and have a little more Preservation than Ruin in him, by allowing the Pits to reform?

That's... actually a little brilliant... well done!

And the word you're looking for is Intent.

Except it is the balance/equality between the two that is keeping his personality from changing, for a while at least eventually (after a LONG time) he will change as a person. Having an imbalance, either way, could be a very bad thing.  Unopposed Preservation is just as bad as unopposed Ruin.

Something I really did not make clear in my last post, looking back at it now, is that Sazed doesn't "need" the pits.  The pits were formed by Preservation to forcefully rip away Ruin's power.  Sazed doesn't need that mechanism, he can probably just "make" atium.  It would certainly be far more efficient and timely.

So, here's my second foray into the forums with this theory:

It's obvious that Edwarn needed Wax to come to the city, so another Atium related theory I have is that Bloody Tan was an Atium Misting. I have thought long and hard about how he killed Lessie, but were he able to burn Atium, jerking Lessie in the path of Wax's shot would have been simple. This was the catalyst that sent Wax to Elendel, so... Just an idea. :)

Anyone want to chime in?? :)

Ways that he could have predicted the shot ahead of time, as far as I can tell:

-zinc feruchemy

-steel feruchemy, depending on how that works with instinctive actions

-tin savant (unlikely)

-electrum misting

-iron/steel misting, by seeing the gun movement with Ironsight and adjusting accordingly

-allomantic brass or zinc, by Pushing or Pulling Wax into shooting at that precise moment

-chromium ferring (guessed what Wax would do, and tapped Luck to let him shove Lessie in exactly the right way)

-the wakefulness feruchemy, again depending on how that interacts with reaction times

-double tin Twinborn, compounding all his senses to an effect similar to a tin savant, but more so

-slider

-considering that his buisness was killing people in creative ways and hanging them up, something Hemalurgical

-he had a pulser associate who put Wax in a time bubble for a moment, allowing Tan to see him moving easily

-Allomantic iron, and Pulling the bullet to his center of gravity, where he also dragged Lessie's head

-blind insanity/faith with a bit of luck and complete lack of fear

-As has already been mentioned in this thread, simply reading Wax and Lessie's signals

-a hundred different possibilities ranging from farfetched and magical to simple and mundane

Indeed. I didn't even consider Tin as a substitute, even though Spook is my favorite Mistborn character...

Something I really did not make clear in my last post, looking back at it now, is that Sazed doesn't "need" the pits.  The pits were formed by Preservation to forcefully rip away Ruin's power.  Sazed doesn't need that mechanism, he can probably just "make" atium.  It would certainly be far more efficient and timely.

This is an excellent point. So, there must be some point to Sazed recreating Atium, whatever it is. Perhaps he had to sacrifice a part of his mind (In a similar way that Leras did) for something, and therefore has to limit the power of Ruin. I'm not sure. It just seems unlikely that  he would create Atium in such a place that someone like the Set could find it unless he absolutely NEEDED to... Anyone else have any ideas?

EDIT: I've just learned that the Pits of Hathsin are a necessary leak from the spiritual realm to the physical... So, for whatever reason, Sazed HAS to let the Atium leak back into the physical world.... Lets all chew on that for a bit. ;)

Edit II: It's #4 and #8 after you follow the link... Sorry people. :P

Edited by loganmathewjohnson

There's another WoB somewhere where Brandon is asked about the existing imbalance between Ruin and Preservation (you'll recall that because there was more Preservation in humans, that Preservation was left marginally weaker than Ruin). Brandon responds by saying coyly something to the effect of "I wonder what he could be doing with that extra Ruin?"

Couldn't find the quote, but it's out there.

Also,

EDIT: I've just learned that the Pits of Hathsin are a necessary leak from the spiritual realm to the physical... So, for whatever reason, Sazed HAS to let the Atium leak back into the physical world.... Lets all chew on that for a bit. ;)

Sorry, but where does it say that the leak is necessary?

Edited by Kadrok

Preservation gave a slightly larger portion of his power to the humans of Scadrial to make them sentient. This created the minor imbalance that would eventually allow Ruin to overpower him. In order to keep ruin from having his full power as well, Preservation hid his body (atrium) and trapped Ruins' mind at the Well.

When Sazed absorbed the power of Preservation and Ruin, he did not absorb ALL of the power available. To do that he would have had to rob humans of that spark of preservation that gave them sentience and absorb the body of ruin--impossible to do at the time since the body was burned. At the moment Harmony does not have the full power of either shard.

As a fermuchemist, Sazed understands the importance of balance. It is the balance that allows him to hold the power of both shards without them annihilating each other. If he gets too much Ruin or too much Preservation, then problems of some kind will occur. This means that when the body of Ruin reforms, he can not absorb it without finding an equal amount of preservation as an offset. If the well still exists,--and I believe it does--then he has another 700 years to go unless he were to absorb the Preservation energy as it refills the Well while absorbing a balance from the Pits.

Further, and probably most importantly, WoB indicates that the Pits (and probably the Well also) is a site of spiritual leakage where these energies collect. My guess is that when Ati and Leras first created Scadrial, they had to weave in a portion of their power which created a physical link to the Spiritual--possibly also the Cognitive--realm. As long as the planet exists, these two leakage points, or pools of energy, will continue to slowly reform. This being the case, Sazed is kind of stuck with the existence of the Pits and most likely also the Well.

There's another WoB somewhere where Brandon is asked about the existing imbalance between Ruin and Preservation (you'll recall that because there was more Preservation in humans, that Preservation was left marginally weaker than Ruin). Brandon responds by saying coyly something to the effect of "I wonder what he could be doing with that extra Ruin?"

Couldn't find the quote, but it's out there.

Also,

Sorry, but where does it say that the leak is necessary?

Here's the quote: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977#85

RAGS

How is Harmony balanced when a part of Preservation's power is expended on human sentience? Isn't that what caused all the trouble to begin with?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Indeed. Hm... What could Sazed be doing with that extra power...

If the well still exists,--and I believe it does--then he has another 700 years to go unless he were to absorb the Preservation energy as it refills the Well while absorbing a balance from the Pits.

Dalenthas (15 October 2008)    

Does the Well of Ascension still exist in the new world? Or is it no longer necessary? I assumed that Preservation collected there like Ruin collects in the Pits of Hathsin, so if Atium keeps forming then the well should keep filling...

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)    

The Well (and the small wells in the Pits) is no more. For now at least.

Source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=727#20 (Number 20)

EDIT: Also, thank you Shardbearer.

Edited by Kadrok

• Chaos locked this topic