Corrupted Spren

Altonahk

I haven't seen this theory put out there (though I may have simply missed it), so I thought I would Post it.

How are Spren corrupted? What if Odium, or a lackey, simply wrote down "x spren is a servant of Odium"?

I'm not sure if this would actually work, but it seems like it might!

I don't think actual writing is involved. Remember that it wasn't enough to just write down a random measurement to "lock" the Spren in Geranid's Interlude. She actually had to write down one of its specific characteristic (in this case an actual measurement) to do so. Extrapolating from that, it wouldn't be enough to just write "[Word]spren belongs to Odium". He would have to somehow "measure" the characteristics a Spren would possess that would make it inclined to follow Odium and then write those down.

I do not think a Shard would have to write anything, though. Odium's mere influence or touch would probably be enough to corrupt a Spren.

The only real thing we have concerning the corruption of spren is this, from the Dalinar Purelake Vision Reading:

“A spren that doesn’t act like it should,” the man said. “Just keep your eyes open, once Ja-ana touches them they are different. They act strange. Call attention to anything you see, even if you are uncertain.”

I am of the opinion that Ja-ana is one of the Unmade, Odium's counterparts to the Heralds.  This certainly indicates however that "writing" is not involved in the process of corruption.

Edited by WeiryWriter

The only real thing we have concerning the corruption of spren is this, from the Dalinar Purelake Vision Reading:

I am of the opinion that Ja-ana is one of the Unmade, Odium's counterparts to the Heralds.  This certainly indicates however that "writing" is not involved in the process of corruption.

The more and more I think about it, the Unmade/Fools sounds so much like what we already have. 10 Heralds, basically corrupted to become twisted versions of what they once stood for. It would be... disheartening to add 10 more troublesome Herald-type figures unless we get some of the standard Heralds back on their feet STAT.

• Chaos locked this topic