Theories and speculation

steeleyes

I'm somewhat new to these forums and despite my best efforts to only post new and unique ideas some of these may have already been covered. Here are some of my theories and speculations:

- The Parshendi are similar to the kandra from Scadrial in that they have been elevated closer to humanity through their bond with spren and the Parshmen are similar to the mistwraiths. Similarly the Parshendi are aware of the existence of the shards and their place in the universe.

- The Parshendi killed Gavilar in order to prevent honor from being restored. This is because Gavilar was a candidate for honor’s shard and by restoring honor odium would be drawn back to Roshar to start the true desolation faster.

- Only specific bloodlines can take up shards which is why Vin (despite not having the same intent as the shard she had an abnormal amount of preservation’s influence in her bloodline which is why she was such a strong allomancer compared to others of her time) took up preservation after Leras and therefore Dalinar is the next likely candidate for honor (hence the visions).

- Chasmfiends are used by Odium like Koloss/inquisitors were used by Ruin. The Parshendi recognize this and they moved to the shattered plains in order to take out as many chasmfiends as possible in the lead up to the true desolation.

- Despite having given up their honor blades the heralds still work against Odium in various ways and fulfill a role similar to Vasher from Warbreaker. An option for this is that somehow Jezrien started the highstorms as a way to combat Odium or perhaps to hide Roshar’s denizens from Odium’s eyes although the highstorms could be the equivalent to the mist from Scadrial.

- The Nightwatcher/Cultivation (theories have been proposed that this is cultivation and I agree with them) is hanging out around honor’s shard pool and using that power plus her own to create these apparently random “Old Magics” that don’t follow the standard rules of the world (since Cultivation and Honor created the world together it takes their combined power to make major alterations to it like Harmony on Scadrial).

The blurb for WoR suggests that the Parshendi risk bringing back the voidbringers intentionally (or perhaps I just read it that way) which somewhat undermines my idea that they’re trying to combat Odium and know who he is. Also a case could probably be made that Kaladin is more likely to inherit the shard of honor than Dalinar. Though I like the idea of Kaladin becoming a herald and a leader or dying rather than taking up the mantle of a shard. Then there’s the problem that it might just generally be foolish to base theories and predictions off past books as BS may decide to go in a completely different direction or reverse the stereotypes of previous books like he did with Warbreaker and Elantris.

Anyway feel free to agree with, poke holes in, or otherwise discuss the above theories and let me know what you think.

I'm somewhat new to these forums and despite my best efforts to only post new and unique ideas some of these may have already been covered. Here are some of my theories and speculations:

Welcome to the Forums

- Only specific bloodlines can take up shards which is why Vin (despite not having the same intent as the shard she had an abnormal amount of preservation’s influence in her bloodline which is why she was such a strong allomancer compared to others of her time) took up preservation after Leras and therefore Dalinar is the next likely candidate for honor (hence the visions).

We have WoB that anyone can pick up a Shard, but that those who have existing investiture can do so more easily. To date, we don't know of anyone who has reconstituted a splintered Shard, but we do know that it is possible

Shadowsaber223 ()

Can any person absorb a shard? Or do they have to be somewhat "magical"? (Like Vin and Sazed)

Brandon Sanderson

One does not have to be somewhat magical, so to speak, but it does help.

Chaos

Is Splintering a Shard permanent?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

- Chasmfiends are used by Odium like Koloss/inquisitors were used by Ruin. The Parshendi recognize this and they moved to the shattered plains in order to take out as many chasmfiends as possible in the lead up to the true desolation.

I personally believe that Odium can Corrupt the spren bonds of any native life form on Roshar. Humans not being native to Roshar are exempted from this. That isn't to say that humans can't be corrupted, but that they can't be corrupted through their spren bonds.

I believe that the Parshedi have soulcaster fabrials. They were familiar with the Shattered Plains and were aware of the Chasm Fiends and the gemhearts that could be used to soulcast food. I believe that the reason the Parshendi chose the Shattered Plains as a place to mke their stand against the kingdom of Alethkar is because it circumvented the need to forage for food for the duration of the war.

- Despite having given up their honor blades the heralds still work against Odium in various ways and fulfill a role similar to Vasher from Warbreaker. An option for this is that somehow Jezrien started the highstorms as a way to combat Odium or perhaps to hide Roshar’s denizens from Odium’s eyes although the highstorms could be the equivalent to the mist from Scadrial.

We recently received WoB that the Highstorms are like the mists from Scadrial. I'm certain the Heralds still meddle, but I'm not convinced they are meddling for the same team anymore.

- The Nightwatcher/Cultivation (theories have been proposed that this is cultivation and I agree with them) is hanging out around honor’s shard pool and using that power plus her own to create these apparently random “Old Magics” that don’t follow the standard rules of the world (since Cultivation and Honor created the world together it takes their combined power to make major alterations to it like Harmony on Scadrial).

I'm not sure this is possible. If I understand correctly, the only way that Cultivation could use Honors power would be to take up his Shard.

The blurb for WoR suggests that the Parshendi risk bringing back the voidbringers intentionally (or perhaps I just read it that way) which somewhat undermines my idea that they’re trying to combat Odium and know who he is. Also a case could probably be made that Kaladin is more likely to inherit the shard of honor than Dalinar. Though I like the idea of Kaladin becoming a herald and a leader or dying rather than taking up the mantle of a shard. Then there’s the problem that it might just generally be foolish to base theories and predictions off past books as BS may decide to go in a completely different direction or reverse the stereotypes of previous books like he did with Warbreaker and Elantris.

Anyway feel free to agree with, poke holes in, or otherwise discuss the above theories and let me know what you think.

I'm not sure if the Parshendi know of Odium, or consider the ten anti-Heralds to be their dark gods. I would be willing to delve further into this in the WoR forum as it would require referencing the Eshonai interlude.

Source of Quotes: http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27shards%27

Edited by Gloom

• Chaos locked this topic