The Bodies of Gods (shards)...

Sirscott13

Physical 

Liquid

Gas

Each shard has a physical body represented in the form of one of these states. 

We know the following:

Shard of Preservation,

Liquid - Well of Ascension 

Physical - Lerastrium 

Gas- Normal mists

Shard of Ruin

Liquid - pool at the bottom of the pits of Hathsin

Physical - Atium

Gas - black smoke in one of the rooms next to the WoA

Shard of Devotion

Liquid - lake pond that the hoed are brought to outside Elantris in order to die

We also know that Leras was preservations name and Ati was ruins name (Lerastrium and Atium)

We also know that Aona was devotions name and Skai was Dominions name (AonDor and the other magic)

Having stated this information I will know form my theories...

Theory: The Shard of Endowment has a physical body represented as the tears of Edji. This would be because they are the source for dye (color) which fuels the magic system of Awakening. This could also mean Edji could be Endowments name. 

Theory: Shardpools are actually the source of the gods power, where the liquid collects, the physical grows, and the gas originates. 

Theory: another state of matter is plasma, is that a body of a shard?

Theory: is it possible to collect the gas/liquid/solid of a god and create a different state? For example, Compressing the mists from Mistborn into a liquid creating your own shard-cup, a little pool of ascension that you could use to grow Lerastrium beads and become a mistborn. I ask this because it would make the next trilogy of mistborn books interesting because you could essentially grow mistborn. 

Theory: the combining of shards such as Harmony could create a harmonious body (sazedium) news mists etc...

Theory: Hoid is collecting bodies of gods and splinters of gods, and helping the shards to return to full power in order to collect these items so that he could recreate Adonalism. Supported by when he whispered to Kaladin in WoK the tibet about how he wondered if you break a man into many pieces and put him back together again, would he be the same person. 

Thanks for speculating!

I would suspect that if you COULD condense Scadrian mist into the liquid at the Well, it would have to be some process a lot more specific and complicated than turning water vapor into water. I also suspect not; I think the mist is fundamentally a different thing from the liquid, which is fundamentally not lerasium.

It's Lerasium.

Was this a response to mine? It linked to lerasium's page on the coppermind, which did not make any reference to whether or not the mist and the liquid of the Well were the same substance. If they were the same substance, why are they at three different states at constant temperature and pressure? Even if "normal Scadrian atmospheric conditions" were, by some coincidence, lerasium's triple-point, they'd all three be in a constant state of flux (and since, presumably, the inside of Scadrians themselves is warmer than the outside, it'd be impossible to ingest a bead as it would melt/sublime the instant it reached your mouth. And if anyone could burn it in mist form, almost no one in Scadrian history has ever spent their whole life without taking one single breath of mist, so it would be a planet of poweful Mistborns.) If you still insist that they are the same thing and that for the sake of the sheer convenience of this theory Preservation made it so that it's at all three states at the same temperature/pressure, that lends credence to my own conjecture that simply changing the pressure/temperature would be insufficient to freeze mist into lerasium.

WoB is that the Mist, the liquid in the well, and lerasium are all manifestations of the power/body of Preservation.  Vapor, liquid, solid.  That is speaking to the spiritual aspect rather than physically I believe.  I doubt the well contained melted lerasium and that the mists were essentially well-liquid which had been boiled into vapor.  Brandon has also said that the physical substance of lerasium is mundane, but it is wrapped in the spiritual.  The well-liquid and the mists are likely similar manifestations (i.e., mundane wrapped in spiritual).  

WoB is that the Mist, the liquid in the well, and lerasium are all manifestations of the power/body of Preservation. 

[...]

The well-liquid and the mists are likely similar manifestations (i.e., mundane wrapped in spiritual).  

I buy all of that, but none of it is evidence that the mist could be condensed into Well-liquid, or that if you had a cup of Well-liquid anywhere but at that location it would still generate lerasium. I have blood, bones, and muscles. These are all parts of my body. Doesn't mean they're interchangeable. We have nothing to suggest that the three are all interchangeable, and assuming so is purest speculation. I could easily suggest that Ham is a world-hopper; we've absolutely no evidence to disprove my theory. Or if you brought a stormlight-infused garnet to Sel its light would slay every Elantrian it shined upon. You can't prove to me that it wouldn't.

Hey SirScott :)

Don't feel bothered please, I'd like to point at two typos: It's not lerastrium but lerasium and it's the Tears of Edgli (not Edji).

I personally prefer to refer not to the "body" of a Shard (for me this implies being an animal or a human) but as the "power" of a Shard.

As you said there are three forms of power: physical, liquid and vaporous.

Kaimipono (16 October 2008)
Allomancy is fueled by Preservation's body? How exactly does that work? And how does that interact with Atium—it's fueled by both gods' bodies?
Brandon Sanderson (17 October 2008)

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

So when a person is burning metals, they aren't using Preservation's body as a fuel so to speak—though they are tapping into the powers of creation just slightly. When Vin burns the mists, however, she'd doing just that—using the essence of Preservation, the Shard of Adonalsium itself—to fuel Allomancy. Doing this, however, rips 'troughs' through her body. It's like forcing far too much pressure through a very small, fragile hose. That much power eventually vaporizes the corporeal host, which is acting as the block and forcing the power into a single type of conduit (Allomancy) and frees it to be more expansive.

source

I've emphasized the most important part.

If Edgli is Endowment's name was already asked (and RAFOd):

Chaos

Is Edgli Endowment's real name?
Brandon Sanderson

RAFO, however the flowers are related to Endowment somehow...
Tags

source

And, please, I really don't want to bother, but there's another confusion: You said, that Hoid whispered to Kaladin about the Aimians. It wasn't Kaladin, Hoid spoke to Dalinar (this was a few paragraphs after he also mentioned "Adonalsium"), to be found in TWoK Chapter 54.

The idea Hoid's gathering pieces from all Shards to possibly try to rebuild Adonalsium was mentioned a few times here on the forums. Also the possible support by Hoid's words in Chapter 54. I dare to not give links because the forum search is hating me absolutely. :)

This post is to clarify some things and is not written to insult you.

So despite my failure at mastering the english language, and the confusion on the three states of matter being interchangeable, I am curious if anyone else has any theories on other bodies or physical sources of powers for gods. 

For example:

I wonder what can be said about warbreaker. Is it possible that breath is quite literally the vapor body of endowment? I already speculate on the physical being the tears of edgli. No idea where the shardpool is though. 

My other question is that do physical bodies grow? I only realized this today, but atium grew... If the tears of edgli are indeed the physical body and I am not saying they are, then they would grow too. I understand that lerasium could not grow because of the weakening shards power due to trapping ruin, but if they are like atium beads then that would mean they grew too. 

Now, I am not claiming that my theory is correct, but I would be an idiot to throw away the idea

If it is indeed possible, then I would begin to think of other rare and valuable items that grew in the shard worlds. This lead me immediately to jump to gemhearts from way of kings. They grow in the heart of chasmfiends and are extremely valuable. The war is almost revolving around them. They can also be used in coordination with the magic system. I.E. they can be infused with storm light. Could they be a body of a shard?

Thank you for taking the time to comment guys. I really do just like talking to people about the crazy theories in my head. I do not mind being corrected and I hope you know I just really enjoy these books and love the scientific theory behind it all. I know none of my information is confirmed but its fun to speculate right? Thanks again :)

Gemhearts are found in Greatshells. Chasmfiends are only one kind of Greatshell. Greatshells are found in the Shattered Plains, Aimia, and the sea to the north; basically the coasts of Roshar.

I haven't heard anything about Odium being "to the east". There's one reference (with a notation saying that the translation is questionable) which mentions "to the west, in the place closest to Honor". I personally suspect that this is a red herring, which he's done in other books.

In Well of Ascension, he'd spent two books talking about "the mountains to the north" which ended up being... a bit misleading.

This is true, idk it just seemed more hidden in WoK so I thought this might be more along the line of truth. And seeing as how war is being fought in the east and shinovar to the west is so peaceful I thought it made logical sense... Granted high storms come from the east and have the power to infuse gemstones for surge binding so maybe I'm wrong. But isn't honor dead so his body would cease to grow like preservation? In that case the gem hearts would be more like a tribute to odium. After all the pershendi are collecting them for more than just currency

I wonder what can be said about warbreaker. Is it possible that breath is quite literally the vapor body of endowment? I already speculate on the physical being the tears of edgli. No idea where the shardpool is though.

Given the tears can only grow in one area on the world, and they are connected to Endowment somehow, I imagine that Endowment's shardpool, if he/she has one, is under the Hallandren valley.

Gemhearts are found in Greatshells. Chasmfiends are only one kind of Greatshell. Greatshells are found in the Shattered Plains, Aimia, and the sea to the north; basically the coasts of Roshar.

I haven't heard anything about Odium being "to the east". There's one reference (with a notation saying that the translation is questionable) which mentions "to the west, in the place closest to Honor". I personally suspect that this is a red herring, which he's done in other books.

In Well of Ascension, he'd spent two books talking about "the mountains to the north" which ended up being... a bit misleading.

Technically Odium is on a whole different planet: Braize.

I think the literal breath used by awakeners is the gas body of endowment. I mean if anything the divine breaths definitely are.. 

I'm sure I heard somewhere (here it is) that we know for a fact that the Divine Breaths are Slivers (EDIT: I goofed, they are Splinters. WELL MAYBE IF BRANDON DIDN'T START SO MANY WORDS WITH S'S), which prolly makes them different from the gas body... but who knows, mebbe it can be both.

Edited by Darnam

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to shoot you down, but Vin burned the Mists twice in the Mistborn Trilogy. If the Mists were anything similar to Lerasium, that would simply make her a more powerful Mistborn I guess. Burning Lerasium only turns you into a Mistborn, if Vin had burned a Lerasium bead instead of drawing on the Mists it would have not given her the ability to pull on TLR's atium bracelettes.

• 4 weeks later...

Actuall I feel like I remember brandon say that the metal (solid) for of a god is more concentrated and powerful. Rewriting spiritual DNA to make vin a more powerful mistborn. Burning the mists (gas) is a less concentrated body so the mists can't rewrite her spiritual DNA but she can still use the mists to power her powers. I mean the well (liquid) allowed The Lord Ruler to reshape the planet, change his spiritual DNA and so much other stuff. Obviously the order of power goes liquid -> solid -> gas. So no, they do not have to be anything similar and can grant different effects

BS told us about this question:

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

source October 2008

If I understand this right the order would be: liquid -> gas -> solid?