Is Harmony Switzerland?

Shardlet

Harmony is half Ruin and half Preservation, essentially a balance.  There appears to be at least 2 (likely 3, maybe 4, or more?) broad Cosmeric endeavors in play:

1) Odium wants to trash the other Shards leaving himself as the most powerful being in the Cosmere.

2) Many of us (at least would like to) think that Hoid et al. are trying to reunite the shards.

3-ish) It is not inconceivable that at least one of the present Shards is content with being a Shard and would rather maintain things as they are.

4-ish) It is also not inconceivable that some Shard-savvy human wouldn't mind taking a shard for themself thereby obtaining supreme cosmic (Cosmeric) powers (*note: this is a lame Aladdin reference.  Obviously, the power of one Shard would not be "supreme").

In any case, back to Harmony.  I would presume that the Ruin aspect of Harmony would be a cheerleader of sorts for Odium (at least in the short-term) because Ruin want to trash the other Shards.  This is supported by Ruin's apparent desire in Mistborn to kill and destroy everyone and everything.

The Preservation side of Harmony seems like it would be keen on maintaining (preserving) the status quo.  In Mistborn, the only apparent reason Preservation acted against Ruin was because Ruin was going to trash the place if preservation didn't act to stop him.  Preservation wanted to maintain Scadrial and the life thereon.  I did not see any indication that Preservation was interested in making anything better than it was.

We also know from Mistborn that, working together, Preservation and Ruin were able to create life on Scadrial.  So, it is conceivable that Harmony could work towards, or at least be in favor of, goal 2.  But, to temper any action or goal, we have the words of Harmony from AoL saying that he has to be careful playing favorites lest he upset the balance (his internal balance between Ruin and Preservation?).

So would Harmony, presumably seeking harmony, be able to only act as a mediating influence in Cosmeric events (a neutral party like Switzerland)?  Or, do you think that Harmony could actively work towards an alternative goal? 

EDIT: In the OP, the underlined portion was not in parenthesis and originally read "between Ruin and Preservation".

Edited by Shardlet

Yes, he was not specific.  But that seems to be the most likely balance in play for Harmony personally and for Harmony in regards to Scadrial which was formed (in its present state) using the joint powers of Ruin and Preservation. 

However, you are ultimately correct that he was not specific so I amended the OP accordingly :D.

The Ascended Ancients in Stargate spring to mind. If his intent is "giving as many as possible the opportunity to make their own choices" as the Wiki claims, it is unlikely he's going to throw his weight around that much... the more he acts, the less he fulfills his intent because every action of his would diminish the choices of others. I think Harmony is going to be largely non-intervention, relying more on empowered followers than "godding around". His Shardholder fits this, given he was always an advisor and academic figure rather than a man of action.

He (Harmony) can choose sides, champions, and make efforts on behalf of and to assist such folk.  For instance, in AoL, Harmony's variant of the Mist  appears to at least help Wax.  On page 286 of the hardcover, it says "[Wax] felt better in the mists.  The wounds didn't seem so bad.  the pain didn't seem so sharp."  This chapter strongly suggests that the mists are active in aiding Wax.  Whether the effect is selective or not is unclear. 

Further, Harmony says, again on page 286, "I have done something to help. I sent you."  It goes on further and at least suggests that Harmony somehow reunited Wax and the chest with his cloak and Sterrions.  Harmony even says "You're welcome" immediately after Wax notices the chest and realizes what it is. 

It appears that Harmony can act directly in subtle ways without upsetting "the balance".  It is also clear that Harmony can act by using/influencing people such as Wax.  It is unclear what characteristics align Wax with Harmony except that Wax is earnest in his devotion to the path, seeks to protect and uphold the right.  It seems clear that some measure of ruthlessness is required to be a lawkeeper in the Roughs and enjoy some kind of longevity.  Wax, by all accounts, is a really good guy, but what particular qualities attracted Harmony to him are unclear.  Since, as shown below, the Kandra are "Sazed's Angels" and Melaan gave Wax his earring, I think it is a safe assumption that Harmony sought out Wax. 

Alloy of Law Signing Report said

FEJICUS
Oh, and another little tidbit,

BRANDON SANDERSON
The person who gave Wax his earring was the kandra, MeLaan.

Also, that Kandra are working as "Sazed's Angels". And their role is primarily to go along fixing things by Sazed's Will. Brettin was killed towards the end of the book, but not in the storyline related plot. Sazed saw this, and told Tensoon to go get his bones, which is why he wasnt able to imitate him properly.
Source

The earring allows for Harmony to communicate directly with Wax and many have theorized that the earring is a hemallurgic spike granting at least some degree of pewter allomancy enabling Wax to unconciously draw upon the mists for physical power (I am inclined to tentatively agree).

While Wax is the one pulling the trigger, it seems clear that Harmony is acting subtly, yet directly.  Given this understanding of Harmony's character (at least at the time of AoL; i.e., ~ three centuries as a Shard), how might Harmony choose to act in Cosmeric events?

Well, he's apparently quite stable, at least at the moment

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=691

Q: Will Sazed eventually go mad trying to hold two Shard's power at the same time (being pushed to two different Purposes simultaneously for millennia)? Why hasn't anyone else tried this trick before in the Cosmere?

ANSWER: No.  Since they're so opposite they work together to create a whole.  However, after a LONG time it would change him as a person.

• Chaos locked this topic