A Recipe for Space Travel

Isomere

We have been told that Scadrial technology will one day include the ability to travel faster than light. I didn’t want to wait for technology, so I theorized a way to do it now.

Ingredients:

1 Hemalurgist

2 Chromium spikes

2 Bendalloy Spikes

1 Duralumin Spike

1 Pilot trained in Space-Time Events

1 Spinner Ferring (Chromium)

1 Leecher Misting (Chromium)

1 Subsumer Ferring (Bendalloy)

1 Slider Misting (Bendalloy)

1 Duralumin Misting

1 Metric Ton of Chromium

1 Metric Ton of Bendalloy

1 Bead of Duralumin

Directions:

Tie the Pilot to a table.

Use the Hemalurgist to transfer the powers from each of the mistings and ferrings to the Pilot. This can be messy so use proper precautions.

Have the Pilot’s stomach expanded over several years with an inflatable bladder.

During this time, have him store Luck and Space-Time Contraction in two metalminds.

Compound his Luck and Space-Time Contraction by burning the metalminds and storing the result in another metalmind. (Repeat as needed)

Fill his now enormous stomach from your stock of Bendalloy metalminds, and put the Chromium metalmind within arms reach.

Add one bead of Duralumin.

Have the Pilot focus on your intended destination. Then, while tapping all the Luck he can manage, burn the Bendalloy in one Duralumin enhanced burst. This should generate enough Luck and Space-Time Contraction that you can travel through space-time to the correct Event without appearing in the path of a stray asteroid or accidentally porting into a nearby sun. (Note: due to the nature of Luck, you can sometimes end up in completely unintended Events, but we consider this a feature of the model rather than a draw-back)

The theory: Perhaps Bendalloy contracts space-time, but it is just very hard to control so it sort of forms a bubble around you that doesn't have much form. If you could tweak your luck, the random bubble could be given direction and purpose allowing you to control the warp in space-time.

Edited by Isomere

Can you store space-time contraction? I don't think so.

Even if you could, space is big. I mean, BIG. No, even bigger. Because spacce increases as the cubic power of lenght. And when space is measured in millions or billions of km, that means plenty of space. There are more cubic kilometers in the solar system than there are milligrams of matter on our planet. The chances of getting anywhere useful by going to a random location are small enough that mat cauthon himself wouldn't try it.

Even if you could, space is big. I mean, BIG. No, even bigger. Because spacce increases as the cubic power of lenght. And when space is measured in millions or billions of km, that means plenty of space. There are more cubic kilometers in the solar system than there are milligrams of matter on our planet. The chances of getting anywhere useful by going to a random location are small enough that mat cauthon himself wouldn't try it.

I mean, you think that it's a long way to the corner drug-store, when let me tell you...

This post is mostly for humor. I think the ideas are fun, and if they contribute to something else that actually works I'd be thrilled. 

As for space being very large, I'm kinda working on the (unfounded) supposition that you can control or channel your luck by using a mental focus of what you want it to do. If you focus on point B while channeling luck, it wouldn't really be chance when you successfully arrive. Because you have harnessed the finite improbability of chromium for that nanosecond, wherever you end up is where you will need to be for the best outcome. 

EDIT: There is a way to reverse compound to enhance allomancy, but I'm not sure how it is accomplished. You can also create concentric bendalloy bubbles that multiply the effect. 

Edited by Isomere

• 8 months later...

This post is mostly for humor. I think the ideas are fun, and if they contribute to something else that actually works I'd be thrilled.

As for space being very large, I'm kinda working on the (unfounded) supposition that you can control or channel your luck by using a mental focus of what you want it to do. If you focus on point B while channeling luck, it wouldn't really be chance when you successfully arrive. Because you have harnessed the finite improbability of chromium for that nanosecond, wherever you end up is where you will need to be for the best outcome.

EDIT: There is a way to reverse compound to enhance allomancy, but I'm not sure how it is accomplished. You can also create concentric bendalloy bubbles that multiply the effect.

I thought that bendalloy actually draws kinetic energy from Preservations power and grants it to anything in the time bubble, taking it away as the bubble contracts?

• Chaos locked this topic