\How is born a Knight radiant (theory)

Natans

Ok,  long date lurker speaking for the first time here =)

I was re-re-re-re-reading the way of kings and a noticed something interesting about the two best cases of a person learning to use a Surgebinding  narrated in the book – Shallan and Kaladin –

Paying close attention to the history of this two characters I noticed that both, passed, unintentionally from some a kind of “rite of passage” before they started use they respective surgebind, more proficiently, what give me the thought that, maybe, before someone can use all the powers of an order they have to fill the following prerequisites.

1-Act by the ideal of an order(to attract the spren associated with an order)

2-Make a bond with the spren associated with the ideal of that order(to have access to the power of the order)

3-Be put in a situation where, while they are holding the gem of they order, they follow the ideal – The Trigger to the first level in the path of radiance.

In the book, both Shallan and Kaladin had contact with an spren(truth and honor) and both are holding the gems of they respective order (Garnet and Sapphire) before an event where the ideal of their order are followed( Shallan being honest and Kalladin protecting his man of being punished by the failure of the side carry), started to use their power (Shallan soulcasting and Kalladin  starting discovery his wind running powers)

What do you think?

PS: Forgive my grammar, spelling. My enngrisshhh is very rusted.

=)

I would agree but then I'm left thinking if this is the case then when did Szeth gain his honour spren?

What type of act did he perform in order to gain access to his surging abillity.

To him it would have had to have been something profane as he was made Truthless by it and yet he still speaks about how his honour demands he follows acts which are dishonourable.

About Szeth: 

Q. Does SzethsonsonVallano's Surgebinding require HonorSpren like Kaladin's?

A. No, it does not. (Hm....) Gold star to you.

source: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/2383-qa-with-brandon-sanderson/?view=findpost&p=42214

Jay

Do Szeth and Kaladin both belong to the same order of knights radiant?

Brandon Sanderson (Goodreads)

Szeth isn't actually in an order of Knights Radiant. Something different is happening with Szeth that people have already begun to guess. And Kaladin isn't yet a Knight Radiant, but the powers he uses are those of the Windrunners, one of the orders of the Knights Radiant. Szeth is using the same power set. So your phrasing is accurate to that extent.

source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=697#24

Viper

This will probably be RAFO'd, but: Is Szeth bound to a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

No. He's not. Haha, I didn't RAFO that.

source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=949#12

I hope that helps a bit about Szeth. :)

• Chaos locked this topic