Soulcasting Surge

Josh

First time posting. In my time lurking I noticed that people seem to have settled on calling the soulcasting surge 'transformation'. It seems to me like a more accurate name for it would be 'identity' for a few reasons:

1. It's more consistent with the use of gravity for the Windrunner surge. The Windrunners change the way gravity affects objects to walk on walls, fly, etc. Similarly soulcasters change an object's identity to transform it.

2. It seems more like a fundamental force that would be manipulated by Surgebinders.

3. Small Emperor's Soul spoiler:

It seems consistent with how Shai describes Forging, as understanding an objects identity in order to change it.

My only concern with using 'identity' is (small AoL spoiler):

Identity is already used as a feruchemical power. We don't know much about it as a feruchemical power yet, but I don't think this is a huge problem because I think soulcasting is manipulating spiritual identity whereas feruchemy seems more to be cognitive identity.

Thoughts?

It's an interesting theory, but Brandon has explicitly confirmed that the name of the Surge is Transformation.

QUESTION

You've mentioned that each of the smaller glyphs on the inside cover of the The Way of Kings represents a type of magic. Can you tell us how many of these types we've seen so far?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Remember that to get an order of the Knights Radiant you take two of the small glyphs and one of the large glyphs. The large glyph represents a concept or an ideal mixed with an essence, what they call the elements of this world, with two magics attached to it. You have seen the Windrunners, which is the first, top-right glyph, mixed with the two Surges—the forces in this world—attached to it. So you've seen pressure and gravitation as mixed together to form a Windrunner. You have seen one of the other Surges, which is Soulcasting—Transformation—though which other Surges that mixes with to form orders of the Knights Radiant I am not specifically going to say at this time. What else have you seen? Those are the only ones that are overt. But you have seen the effects of others.

Source

Welcome to the forums! :D

Eh, the people of Roshar don't really have a concept of Gravity or Atmospheric pressure either, do they? And yet those are Surge names. They just blame gravity on groundspren. The only place gravity was even mentioned was the Ars Arcanum, which is written by someone with outside knowledge. I think these are the real names for the Surges.

• Chaos locked this topic