Theory: That One Guy Isn't Nohadon

Lightflame

The Stormlight Archive board hasn't been very active recently. Because of this, I have decided to post this theory I just came up with today.

During Dalinar's vision in Chapter 60, he meets a random king guy, henceforth referred to as "That One Guy" (like Chaos' "the one guy" and "Allomantic Hobo"). Dalinar thinks That One Guy is Nohadon, and there is some evidence for it.

Nohadon Evidence:

1. That One Guy is a King in what appears to be Kholinar after a Desolation.

2. That One Guy made up at least one of the phrases in "The Way of Kings".

3. Dalinar thinks Nohadon is That One Guy.

However, as the title of the theory states, I don't think Nohadon is That One Guy. Honor/Tanavast probably had an important reason for showing Dalinar that particular vision, but That One Guy is a red herring.

The Way of Kings, Page 817 (Hardcover Edition):

Often I wonder what my experience in life-my easy life following the Desolation, and my current level of comfort-has given me of any true experience to use in making laws.

In his book, Nohadon wrote that he had an easy life following the Desolation. Now, let's go take a look at That One Guy.

The Way of Kings, Page 850 (Hardcover edition):

"Eleven years of war and nine out of ten people I once ruled are dead. Do we even have kingdoms to rule any longer? Sur is gone, I'm sure of it. Tarma, Eiliz, they won't like survive. Too many of their people have fallen."

The Way of Kings, Page 851 (Hardcover edition):

"I'm thinking of giving up my throne," Nohadon That One Guy said softly.

That sounds like a tormented man, not the pampered man Nohadon claims to be. That One Guy could be labeled Nohadon by circumstance, but he certainly doesn't seem like Nohadon. Nohadon lived an "easy life", but That One Guy was tortured enough to decide to give up the throne. Nohadon could have been the next king.

Anyway...

The Way of Kings, Pages 852-853 (Hardcover edition):

"This isn't a time for writing. It's a time for action. And then, unfortunately, a time for the sword."

The sword? Dalinar thought. From you, Nohadon?

It wouldn't happen. This man would become a great philosopher; he would teach peace and reverence for others, and would not force men to do as he wished. He would guide them to acting with honor.

Not very Nohadon-like, is he? Dalinar's evidence is circumstantial. That One Guy wants to use force, while Nohadon united the Alethi with peace. (Actually, how was there Alethi back then? And if you work in the whole "h" thing, Nohadon has a Vorin holy name, one letter off from symmetry. Hmm....) That One Guy wants to take up the sword, which Nohadon almost certainly wouldn't do. So they're probably different guys.

Now anyway...

The Way of Kings, Page 851 (Hardcover edition):

"I cannot lead them," the man said. "Not if this is what my leadership brings them to."

"Nohadon."

The man turned to him, frowning. "What?"

Dalinar paused. Could he be wrong about this man's identity? But no. The name Nohadon was more of a title. Many famous people had been given names by the Church, before it was disbanded. Even Bajerden wasn't likely to be his real name; that was lost to time.

Why include this little scene? Either Nohadon got his name later, which is unlikely, or That One Guy isn't Nohadon. The first one is a fairly frivolous reason, as Brandon wanted the book to be very tight. We already established that Nohadon was a Holy Name back in Chapter 58, so why bring it up unless it was for foreshadowing? Since "Nohadon got his name later" doesn't have much of a point, I believe that this little bit is meant to show that That One Guy isn't Nohadon.

Other Random Hints:

- That One Guy claims that writing a book is a tremendously stupid idea.

- Dalinar thinks that he's too young to be Nohadon.

Where Does This Leave Us?:

I'm not sure where we end up if it's revealed that That One Guy isn't Nohadon. I would assume that it means that Nohadon was maybe a usurper, or that the whole Nohadon -> Book -> Radiants history is different than what it seems.

I'm not sure if we've been introduced to the true identities of That One Guy or Nohadon yet. All I know for sure is that Nohadon isn't Karm, as he mentioned in his book that he had two arms when he was king. The only identity I can think of for That One Guy is Derethil, which is messed up. We'll probably find hints in SA2, which will be a Shallan book.

Until then, I'm not sure where we go from here.

Thoughts on my theory?

I am inclined to believe Dalinar's conclusion that it is a young Nohadon, before the title, before the kingdom and before the book. It makes the most sense with the available evidence.

I feel like both Derethil and the Sunmaker were more recent than Nohadon. I don't have anything to cite about Derethil's timeframe. But, if I am remembering correctly and the Sunmaker was the guy who reformed the Vorin church, then he was alive a very long time after the last Desolation.

Although I do agree, Zenous, that Derethil is probably important.

I disagree; I strongly believe Dalinar is correct in his identification.

That sounds like a tormented man, not the pampered man Nohadon claims to be. That One Guy could be labeled Nohadon by circumstance, but he certainly doesn't seem like Nohadon. Nohadon lived an "easy life", but That One Guy was tortured enough to decide to give up the throne. Nohadon could have been the next king.

The scene is set in the aftermath of a Desolation (and they had a war before that). He has not had time to have a pampered, easy life. He speaks of 11 years of war, and he is considered a youthful man by Dalinar -- so he has likely been at war for most, if not all, of his adult life.

Not very Nohadon-like, is he? Dalinar's evidence is circumstantial. That One Guy wants to use force, while Nohadon united the Alethi with peace. (Actually, how was there Alethi back then? And if you work in the whole "h" thing, Nohadon has a Vorin holy name, one letter off from symmetry. Hmm....) That One Guy wants to take up the sword, which Nohadon almost certainly wouldn't do. So they're probably different guys.

If this man is Nohadon, there are likely decades till he dictates the book. He is, I'd say, in his early thirties at most, to be called youthful. He likely doesn't dictate the book till his late sixties, if then.

Why include this little scene? Either Nohadon got his name later, which is unlikely, or That One Guy isn't Nohadon. The first one is a fairly frivolous reason, as Brandon wanted the book to be very tight. We already established that Nohadon was a Holy Name back in Chapter 58, so why bring it up unless it was for foreshadowing? Since "Nohadon got his name later" doesn't have much of a point, I believe that this little bit is meant to show that That One Guy isn't Nohadon.

It is simply another reinforcement of the point that he isn't yet the wise king that Dalinar heard of.

- That One Guy claims that writing a book is a tremendously stupid idea.

He is not yet the person who has the book written. He has to unite the Alethi first, after all.

- Dalinar thinks that he's too young to be Nohadon.

This doesn't really support either situation. Every old man was once young.

We obviously cannot conclude anything, but I don't feel there is enough supporting evidence for this theory -- in fact, I don't really think there is any. I freely acknowledge that the evidence for him actually being Nohadon is flimsy, but there is more evidence for him being the man than there is for him not being him. The strongest piece of evidence is the quote Dalinar takes from Nohadon's book, which the man immediately attributes to himself.

The Way of Kings, Page 817 (Hardcover Edition):

Often I wonder what my experience in life-my easy life following the Desolation, and my current level of comfort-has given me of any true experience to use in making laws.

In his book, Nohadon wrote that he had an easy life following the Desolation. Now, let's go take a look at That One Guy

I don´´t think thats arguing against. It sais he lived an easy life _after_ the desolation. What we see there is the ending of the desolation. So perhaps things got better for him?

Besides, that very thing led to an important thing for Dalinar.

Quoting from memory now, and can´t quite recall it word for word, but it goes something like this:

Dalinar, near the end of WOK after having kicked the king in the chest.

"But I did´nt understand something. Nohadon wrote his book at the end of his life. He wrote it as a sort of guideline, for a people who already had some experience in following the right path.

I´v been treating the other highprinces as adults, who can be trusted to read something and adapt it to their needs. But we are not adults, were children, and children are required to do what is right."

Now, its likely partly wrong, but the point of that quote is as it is. (my books not here:p)

Thats the point then. Nohadon now, enters the part where he requires ppl to do whats right. Its not until later he´ll be peaceful ;)

Personally, I´m almost certain that it is Nohadon. But I am open for the posibility that Nohadon is truly a title, and that there have been several "Nohadons", who have worked on that book.

Edited by dyring

I think Dalinar had the right idea myself

Dalinar was trying to act like Nohadon the wise to unite Alethkar and it wasnt working, when he needed to be Mr Big Bad No Name who slapped everyone silly and forced them to follow his morals.

Though in truth it matters little whether it was him or not, it had the needed effect on Dalinar. For all we know that could have been a common philosophical phrase that Nohadon decided to add to his book.

But I think it was him because Nohadon was one of Dalinars idols, for him to realise that his idol didnt unite through peace... well that is quite the revelation for him.

You know, it could very easily have been Nohadon's father. That would explain the quotation being passed down, the easy life after the Desolation (Dad did all the hard work of uniting), and a few of the other inconsistencies. It also parallels nicely with Dalinar's current situation. Strong leader that unites people followed by son who apparently follows in father's footsteps. The difference being Nohadon was a much stronger leader than Elkohar.

You know, it could very easily have been Nohadon's father. That would explain the quotation being passed down, the easy life after the Desolation (Dad did all the hard work of uniting), and a few of the other inconsistencies. It also parallels nicely with Dalinar's current situation. Strong leader that unites people followed by son who apparently follows in father's footsteps. The difference being Nohadon was a much stronger leader than Elkohar.

It's possible... but why? It doesn't make sense to make a switch like that. Occam's Razor applies, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fact pointing in the direction of it being Nohadon, is that Dalinar has said that ALL of his visions have been tied to the Radiants in some way. It is strongly implied in the book, by Teft and Dalinar, that the Radiants, the soulcasters and surgebinders of the world, based their orders on the teachings of Nohadon. It is also very strongly implied by That One Guy, that the reason that humanity almost failed in the Desolation just past, is that surgebinders and soulcasters are running amok with no order, discipline, morals or ethics, and he is about to do something about it.

Edit: Slightly out there theory. Is Dalinar Nohadon reborn?

Edited by CabbageHead

• Chaos locked this topic