Just reread Elantris, slough of theories

Qazxvy

Some of these are just wild theories, but I think that they all make quite a bit of sense.

So, I just reread Elantris for the manyith time, and came up with an idea for why AonDor is connected to the land, and why at one point (soon after Raoden realizes that the Aons are connected to the land), he's saying that there are seemingly random things there as well, like half a dozen seemingly randomly placed dots, or a few little x's. I think this is because the Dor resides in the cognitive realm (shadesmar) where it is almost exactly the same as physical realm as far as land features go (or maybe there are rifts of some sort in shadesmar that are what cause the landmarks in the physical realm, I like that idea), or there are similar things in the same places there. Then, when you draw the shapes of said rifts or landmarks, (if you are an Elantrian) then it's like the two or three round holes line up so that the round peg can fit through (using the analogy that Raoden uses). Or if you bend your bones into those shapes (If you are a Dakhor) Or if you dance like those (If you use ChayShan).

WILD GUESSES: Also the Skaze could have made the rift/landform that caused the chasm that caused the Reod, because we know that they are in shadesmar, and also because it seems to me that the Skaze and the Dakhor are on one side (We know that Dilaf communes with them), and the Seons and the Elantrians are on another, and that the ChayShan users are more or less neutral.

And maybe the three major religions represent the Shardic worship or use, Shu-Korath (devotion) Shu-Dereth (dominion) Shu-Keseg (both, general) Jesker (the Dor in general) and The mysteries (Probably nothing, just something Brandon might have used for Sarene to dethrone Iadon and cause confusion about the religions?) and each has it's own way of accessing the Dor. Except the Mysteries, which we still fo not know whether or not they can access the Dor.

Just a side note, how does Dilaf commune with the Skaze? When he says "so the Skaze are right, the Elantrians can be killed" how did he talk to them?

Also, in Elantris it talks about how the Dor seems pressurized, and that is why it actually goes through those shapes instead of satying where it is. The pressure of the Dor could be caused either by the formless energy of a shard without conscious (somewhat like the mist in Mistborn) (more likely) or possibly residual energy by way of some sort of battle between the Skaze and the Seons. It could also be a magic reserve made by one or both of the shards on Sel (Also kind of like the mists). We know that it is not concious because when Raoden is first "attacked" by the Dor, it says that it felt like it had no concious. Just the fact that such a power resides in Sel's Shadesmar would make sense about why it would be hard to get to Sel via Shadesmar, no matter what it is caused by.

EDIT: Also found this quote from Brandon that talks about connection between Aons and the cognitive realm. "Afraid not. Aon Mea references the expanded region within which the "Elantris Effect" will create Elantrians. The X is fertile valley with a high density of life, a place with a lot of cognitive activity."

Edited by Qazxvy

• Chaos locked this topic