Hoid's Homeworld

Zenith

Whilst re-reading Warbreaker, I found a quote by Hoid: specifically about "gods". He said that the gods are dead where he came from. While this may mean there is no Returned (which is true), he knows he is speaking to an Idrian, who believes more in the shard kind of god. I think this may mean

A: The shards on his homeworld are splintered/nonexistant

B: He believes in different gods (obviously not the shards, if he was there when Adonalsium shattered) that died

C: Something else entirely.

Anyway, a find that I want discussed. If this has obvious flaws, tell me. I can take it :).

Well, by my understanding, the Liar of Partinel was set before the Shattering so there were no Shards yet, and in the first samples chapters there are several references to dead gods, and that always intrigued me....but apparently Liar has been scrapped now so I'm not sure if that's canon anymore?

Dragonsteel and Liar of Partinel (the scrapped Hoid origin story) are both set on Yolen. I'm pretty sure Liar was going to be a thousand years before Dragonsteel as well. It's been a while since I read the Liar sample chapters, but what really stood out to me was that the world and humanity already seemed pretty far along in their decline. And since we've been told Dragonsteel has dragons, I wonder if and how they would have been worked in Liar as well.

Just looked for myself, and Liar really did have a lot of references to dead gods. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/35772519/The-Liar-of-Partinel

Liar of Partinel was definitely supposed to be set before Dragonsteel, but I don't know if it was ever actually said to be pre-Shattering. It did mention dead gods, though.

That said, with the novel scrapped, it's unclear exactly what from the sample chapters can be assumed to still hold true.

Bit off-topic, but do we know if Dragonsteel is going to be a cosmere-prequel, or sequel (say, after WoK and maybe during future Mistborn or something?)

Dragonsteel refers to a series, 2 books of which are pre-cosmere, the rest of which we have no ideas on.

Dragonsteel refers to a series, 2 books of which are pre-cosmere, the rest of which we have no ideas on.

Yeah I know it's gonna be his next "epic" series after Stormlight Archive. I just wonder how it will play out.

Speculation includes wondering if it'll be the 'final' cosmere series, or if anything will come after, especially since Dragonsteel probably won't be completed for ~20 years. And if there will be a gap in that like the planned Stormlight gap between Books 5 and 6.

I just need to jump forward in time about fifteen years.

I just need to jump forward in time to when SA is complete and I have them all. Then I will read them, stopping only to eat, drink, sleep, or go to the bathroom.

Guest Jacob Santos

Yeah I know it's gonna be his next "epic" series after Stormlight Archive. I just wonder how it will play out.

Speculation includes wondering if it'll be the 'final' cosmere series, or if anything will come after, especially since Dragonsteel probably won't be completed for ~20 years. And if there will be a gap in that like the planned Stormlight gap between Books 5 and 6.

You could always jump into a space craft, get close to light speed and then time the braking to the relative time.

It might be a year or 5 for you but 15 or 50 for everyone else on Earth.

I just need to jump forward in time to when SA is complete and I have them all. Then I will read them, stopping only to eat, drink, sleep, or go to the bathroom.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't stop at all. If I can finish WoK in one day, I can get through all of SA without eating on taking a break.

Imaginary challenge accepted.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't stop at all. If I can finish WoK in one day, I can get through all of SA without eating on taking a break.

Imaginary challenge accepted.

One... day? You are one hell of a speed reader. At my best I probably read about 6 words a second, so to finish WoK I would literally have to keep reading without ever losing my train of thought, eating, drinking or taking any other break.

EDIT: And Yamato, I'm actually pretty glad I don't read as fast as you. I always find myself becoming more immersed if I take time on a book.

Edited by Straff Venture

One... day? You are one hell of a speed reader. At my best I probably read about 6 words a second, so to finish WoK I would literally have to keep reading without ever losing my train of thought, eating, drinking or taking any other break.

EDIT: And Yamato, I'm actually pretty glad I don't read as fast as you. I always find myself becoming more immersed if I take time on a book.

When I read, I pewter drag. Takes a while to start, but I literally go till I can't see anymore. After WoK, the world was just one big blur.

Both of you, I don't know where he said it but, in the context of saying because the Stormlight Archive would be so long WoK would have to both outline the series and be an enjoyable story of its own, that it would likely be the longest one. Its not certain, but very likely SA2 will be at least a little shorter.