Using Atium and Electrum together

WolfBro87

So I was driving to buy Towers of Midnight the other day and I got to thinking, what would happen if an Inquisitor and say Vin were fighting,  had Atium, Vin had Atium and Electrum.

Now we know that if the Inquisitor burns Atium and Vin burns Electrum, then the Inquisitor sees Vin's shadow split into dozens.  I believe it was Elend who called Electrum 'the poor man's Atium'

So what I'm curious about is what would happen if the Inquisitor burned Atium, then Vin burned Electrum followed by Atium.  Would Vin be able to see the Inquisitor's single Atium shadow? 

I think Kelsier explained that two people burning Atium see dozens of shadows because A sees what B is going to doing, changing what A would do.  And the same happens for B, which then leads to both of their shadows splitting up.

But if an Inquisitor already sees dozens of Vin's shadows because of Electrum, then would that mean if Vin burned Atium after Electrum she could still see the Inquisitor's single Atium shadow?

(I use Vin and the Inquisitor because I didn't like how it sounded using 'Mistborn A' and 'Mistborn B')

• 4 weeks later...

I'd have to say that nothing happens (at least, nothing particularly interesting).  Multiple Atium shadows occur because the ability to see the future allows you to change the future.  I'm not sure that we ever got a particularly good description of how Electrum works, but the only effect that we know about is that it makes an allomancer burning atium see multiple possible futures for you. 

If anything, burning Electrum would likely hurt the allomancer that burns it as much as the allomancer who doesn't.  By projecting a set of possiblities that atium normally wouldn't pick up on, you're just introducing more possibilites, which means more shadows all around.

i think it would just make double atium shadows for the inquisitor just making it harder for vin because she knows it can choose any of these but with atium it would have half the options, the smart thing would be burn electrum till the inquisitors out of atium then turn atium on.

• Chaos locked this topic