Origin of Humans and Voidbringers

Straff Venture

Anyone who has read the Stormlight Archive can see that the creatures of Roshar (excluding Shinovar) are all shelled in some form, even if they may have an 'Earth equivalent', such as axehounds and dogs. The only species of animals and plants that are from Earth are only present in Shinovar.

Except humans. Humans are present across all of Roshar. This seems simple: the humans of Roshar first came from Shinovar and when intelligent enough to build shelter against the highstorms in Roshar they migrated into the rest of the continent.

*SPOILERS*

When thinking about this, my mind thought about another shelled race that had not occured to me before: the Voidbringers/Parshmen. Though they are always said not to be humans, their similar physiology implies a connection. What if the Parshmen are simply the non-Shinovar evolved counterparts to humans on Roshar?

This does not explain why they are the Voidbringers, however. Perhaps they evolved as a species and later Odium used them to fight in the desolations. Thoughts?

Edited by Straff Venture

Parshendi don't actually have to be Voidbringers. Yes, it's Jasnah's big theory, but there have been plenty of discussions here about how it might not be completely correct, or even on the right track. Voidbringers could be Spren for all we know.

Also, your idea is interesting. Let's wait and see how this turns out.

Personally I think something's up with Shin. They're simply too unnaturally strange to have no place in this. I'm willing to bet they'll have a large role soon enough. What if they are the Voidbringers? They seem pretty harmless,but...well....we've learned that the world's impresions are rarely correct.

Personally I think something's up with Shin. They're simply too unnaturally strange to have no place in this. I'm willing to bet they'll have a large role soon enough. What if they are the Voidbringers? They seem pretty harmless,but...well....we've learned that the world's impresions are rarely correct.

I agree, even if my theory isn't right Shinovar misses two things; Spren and Highstorms. Those are the two single things that shape Roshar and The Way of Kings to how it is. Shinovar is definitely going to have some significance because of this.

On the flipside, the Parshendi could be humans that HAVE adapted to the environment. Or at least a branch on the family tree. The question would be whether shard-powered evolution could work so quickly, but we already have an example of a shardholder doing instant changes to human physiology. Would it be so much of a stretch to say that Odium did exactly the same as Rashek?

Sanderson has already done examples of humans being changed in drastic ways. An still being able to cross-reproduce.

Elantrians can interbreed with normal humans.

Skaa can interbreed with nobles though the changes might have been so drastic.

Returned are rumored to be able to interbreed as well.

Koloss can interbreed.

There is at least one explicit example in the text of a Returned starting a line. If Vo had been a normal human when his children were conceived, he would not have passed the traits to Vivenna and Siri. I have loaned out my copy of Warbreaker, but doesn't Vasher tell one of the sisters they have returned blood in them that causes the Royal Locks? Of course, that could have been in an annotation I read too.

Yeah, the Koloss blooded guy in Alloy was sort of disgusting thinking about how he came about.

The short from Sanderson's website talks about Raoden having a baby. He didn't even meet his wife until after he was already an Elantrian.

By the way, this is off topic from the thread but does anyone know how to get those gold marks below your name and how to join the various factions? (ardentia, worldsingers etc.)

Those little gold marks are representative of your post count. They go up at certain levels, like rep. The groups you mention are staff groups, we each help the admins run various sections of the site. There's no real application type thing, if admins want someone to be staff, then they'll contact that person.

Thanks, I've been trying to get my first plus for five days now :D

By the way, this is off topic from the thread but does anyone know how to get those gold marks below your name and how to join the various factions? (ardentia, worldsingers etc.)

I think it's people uprating you, or a mark of staff authority, depending on your rank

Worldsingers/Ardents/KR are admin ranks. Like Mod or Admin, but nerdier.

Yeah, the Koloss blooded guy in Alloy was sort of disgusting thinking about how he came about.

I always assumed, especially judging from the news clipping, that the koloss just raped any woman they could find. The idea of anything intentional on the human side is simply unlikely and nasty.

Hmm I can imagine if the Parshendi are naturally situated on Roshar reproduction must be a job with that carapace. Imagine trying to have sex in armour.

Of course, it's possible that the Parshendi only grew the carapace armor to allow for fighting, and they'll shed it when they return to civilian life.