The Evolution of the Cosmere

Turos

What if the Shattering was necessary?

What if, for the universe to grow, it had to be divided, take some time away from itself, run each quality through imperfection for the sake of learning and growing?

Perhaps it was a way to allow the Power of Creation to spread its influence, making more children, breathing life into more planets.

What if it has happened before, but this time, creation interfered?

This is an interesting theory. One thing that makes me question this is the name itself. If this were a planned-for event, would it really be call the Shattering? Why not something more benign, like the Separation, or the Division?

Of course, I don't know who first called it the Shattering. Was that a term that a character came up with, or is that what Sanderson has referred to it as?

I was thinking about this very thing the other day. What makes me feel like it may have been intentional is the even division into 16 segments. Generally when I think of the word shatter I don't think of an even breaking into equal pieces. If I were to accidentally knock over a vase it would shatter into many completely random pieces. Although calling it The Shattering has a much better ring to it than The Equal Subdivision Into 16 Shards.

The Shattering was originally a term used by... Miyabi? He was quoting Brandon when he said "Hoid was at the Shattering". Brandon recently confirmed that quote when this happened:

"Zas: How about a confirmation one? We have a secondhand report from Miyabi actually, that says that Hoid was at the Shattering of Adonalsium. Was he there?

Brandon: Yes he was. "

So he didn't use it, but he didn't correct me.

1. We know Hoid was alive at the time of the shattering.

2. We know that something was wrong with Yolen in Liar of partinel.(The fain)

3. Hoid (Midius) was native to Yolen.

From these three facts it is implied that something was wrong with the world even before the shattering......maybe Adonalsium was "sick" even before the shattering??

Edited by rags

Ok. It seems likely the division of Adonalsium was a bad thing all in all. Doesn't sound planned or expected to be a reoccuring theme. But who knows?

The sick concept is very interesting. What if Adonalsium was something more like a blank sheet to start, and interacting with mortals 'tainted'/'cultured' its growth into sharing the common traits? Perhaps it saturated to the point of over-confliction with itself and broke apart. This could have been due to self-preservation, or an unexpected twist. If so, perhaps Hoid/Midius was a role in the last straw that burst the bubble.

By the way, Zas, you are the information-gleaming beast! I bet Brandon gets nervous and sweaty everytime he sees you pop up to ask a question. :lol:

• Chaos locked this topic