Shardwielding

Djando Je

Hey all! I'm new here on the forms but I've been spending most of my time reading about the Stormlight Archives and it seems that I picked up on something the rest of you didn't. I could be wrong, you may have already discussed this on another thread, but so far I haven't caught wind of it.

It's really long, I know. Please forgive me.

If I'm right then I may have discovered another of the magics that the KR used, and not only do I have the name for it, but it would answer a lot of the questions going around about Surgebinding and Shardplate.

Here it goes. Shardwielding.

Back cover:

“The world can change. Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return; the magics of ancient days can become ours again.”

Now while the identity of the author of the back cover is under scrutiny, (I know Brandon wrote it, I mean the in-world author) we can all agree that they have knowledge of the KR and their history. From the way that they word it, at least to me it seems as though they regard Shardwielding as something that the KR could do, but which has now been forgotten; that it was more than the simple bearing of Shardplate and Shardblades

We know that when worn by a KR Shardplate glows:

Part 4, Chapter 52, Page 730

“As they drew closer, Dalinar could see that their plate was unpainted, but it glowed ether blue or amber at the joints and across the glyphs at the front, as with the other Radiants he'd seen in his visions.”

and we know that it doesn't interfere with their Surgebinding like it does for Szeth.

Prologue, Page 29

“Szeth didn't own a set of Plate himself, and he didn't care to. His Lashings interfered with the gemstones that powered Shardplate and he had to choose one or the other.”

Part 2, Chapter 19, Page 303

“And there, he saw a brilliant blue light falling through the air . . . then he watched in amazement as the light stood up, limbs unfolding. It wasn't a star at all.”

This very passage goes on to include more references to glowing Shardplate and Surgebingding in Shardplate, as well as implying the ability to summon and dispel Shardplate as though it were a Shardsword -another ability that seems to have been lost.

Now if I'm right and Shardwielding is another KR magic, then now, not only do we know both the Windrunner abilities (Shardwielding and Surgebinding), but we know the other Order that has this ability is the Stonewards, because of the passage from part 4 that I quoted above. (page 730 for the quote and page 729 for the reference to Stonewards.) Also it seems to me that whether the armor glows blue or amber is determined my whether you are a Windrunner or a Stoneward -I have no evidence for this one, its just a hunch.

Amusing that I'm not high and this is actually real, then this would lend legitimacy to the notion that Dalinar is an emerging KR like we know Kalidin is.

Part 2, Chapter 13, Page 209

“Dalinar held back the claw and matched its strength, a figure in dark, silvery metal that almoast seemed to glow.”

(There is another reference to Dalinar's Plate glowing when he saves Kalidin and his bridge crew from parshendi after they use the parshendi armor, but I was to lazy to dig it up.)

So taking in stride that Dalinar can Shardwield, this also tells us about another Shardwielding: it increases the strength of Shardplate. There are plethora of references to Dalinar being to graceful, to strong, to fast, even for one using Shardplate. Not only that but we have references from his viewpoint that he used to be even faster then he is now.

So here it is, my first theory for 17th Shard.

Feel free to disagree, just do so verbally, because I want to hear some feed back for this.

“Je

Edited by Djando Je

Remember, when Kaladin saves Dalinar, his suit was glowing mostly from the cracks and the leaking stormlight.

I am of the opinion that the current plate wearers are just not able to access the full capabilities. With proper training, I could see Dalinar and Kaladin. Sanderson has already given us an example of a magic system where everyone has the potential but it is not realized by all.

Hey,

I haven't been on for a while, so hello!

I completely and totally agree that Dalinar is becoming a surgebinder.

I don't know if shard-wielding is deliberately something that you can learn or if it is that all shardplate is de-powered. I personally tend to favor the latter, simply because it seems to be a cleaner solution and explains why Szeth just can't use it. If it was related to skill, it would make sense that Szeth could touch it (of course, we still don't know what is happening with Szeth and how he is different from what Kaladin is).

Anyone can shoot a bow, but a skilled archer can do it more accurately and rapidly. Anyone can wield a sword, but a skilled swordsman is way more deadly than the farmhand that only picked one up earlier in the day.

Training does matter. Sanderson has already shown us in his works that people may be born with an inate ability, but not realize it without proper training. All Elantrians can draw the glyphs, but it still takes training in the glyphs and addons to make a master. Vin had the inate abilities of a Mistborn, but she did not realize all of them until Kelsier trained her. Even with his training, she still spent time with each of the mistings to become better with each individual skill. Sanderson has stated that Siri and her sister both have abilities because of their Returned ultimate grandfather. Vivenna contained hundreds of breaths but was unable to use them until Vasher gave her training. Even Vasher is still learning. The commands are out there, they just have to be discovered.

We know that Radiants were able to do things that current bearers simply are unable to do. It is not all that much of a stretch to say that properly trained modern shardbearers could do the same stuff provided they had the inborn talent.

This is an interesting theory, the topic about Surgebinding and Shardwielding have been discussed (here's the link ) but I don't think there's been a theory claiming Shardweilding as the second ability of Windrunners and Stonewards.

Here are a few qoutes from the topic.

So I finally took a look at the back cover and this stood out like a sore thumb.

Obviously Shardwielding isn't Shardbearing, because Shardbearing isn't something that's gone and Shardbearers aren't magical, just have magical loot. So, anyone know what the heck that is?

Therefore, Shardweilding may be the "unlocking" of Shardplate's true power, with Shardplate simply being used on the "basic" settings in the present day, its wearers ignorant or unworthy of the entirety of its powers.

There is one piece of evidence.

From the back cover of the hardcover:

This indicates very strongly to me that the current owners of Shardblades are not "Shardwielding".

Anyway, just check-out the topic. Here's my comment on the previous comments.

I am of the opinion that the current plate wearers are just not able to access the full capabilities. With proper training, I could see Dalinar and Kaladin. Sanderson has already given us an example of a magic system where everyone has the potential but it is not realized by all.

What if they cant access the full capabilities of the shard plate because they can't Shardwield? If Shardweilding is a separate magic system, then you cant just train yourself to get better. You have to be able to access that magic. Take for example the mistings, they can use Allomancy but they can't access all of it. Maybe not everyone can use Shardweilding.

I don't know if shard-wielding is deliberately something that you can learn or if it is that all shardplate is de-powered.

You can't deliberately learn a magic system, you have to do something to be able to access it (embody an ideal, be born as an alomancer, get enough Breath, etc.) Why are they de-powered? I think it's because the Shardbearers can't Shardwield.

Anyone can shoot a bow, but a skilled archer can do it more accurately and rapidly. Anyone can wield a sword, but a skilled swordsman is way more deadly than the farmhand that only picked one up earlier in the day.

Training does matter. Sanderson has already shown us in his works that people may be born with an inate ability, but not realize it without proper training. All Elantrians can draw the glyphs, but it still takes training in the glyphs and addons to make a master. Vin had the inate abilities of a Mistborn, but she did not realize all of them until Kelsier trained her. Even with his training, she still spent time with each of the mistings to become better with each individual skill. Sanderson has stated that Siri and her sister both have abilities because of their Returned ultimate grandfather. Vivenna contained hundreds of breaths but was unable to use them until Vasher gave her training. Even Vasher is still learning. The commands are out there, they just have to be discovered.

We know that Radiants were able to do things that current bearers simply are unable to do. It is not all that much of a stretch to say that properly trained modern shardbearers could do the same stuff provided they had the inborn talent.

Anyone might be able to throw a stone, but even if you train very hard you won't be able to throw as far as a mistborn burning pewter. I think it's not just "inborn talent" that you need to use the shardplates effectively, you have to be able to Shardwield.

Here's a quote from the book that supports the theory that only Stonewards and Windrunners can Shardwield. It's the time that Dalinar saw The Day of Recreance in a vision. (I dont have my book with me so i'm using an ebook, i can't give the page numbers.)

He couldn’t read the rank insignias, but he could recognize an officer when he saw one standing in a blood-​red cloak with a group of honor guards. He had no mail, just a shiny bronze breastplate over leather, and was conferring with one of the scouts. Dalinar hurried up.

Only then did he see that the man’s eyes were dark brown. That gave Dalinar a shock of incredulity. Those around him treated the man like a brightlord.

“…the Order of the Stonewards, my lord,” the still-​mounted scout was saying. “And a large number of Windrunners. All on foot.”

“But why?” the darkeyed officer demanded. “Why are Radiants coming here? They should be fighting the devils on the front lines!”

and

“Will someone tell me why?” Dalinar bellowed. “This is it, isn’t it? The Day of Recreance, the day you betrayed mankind. But why?” None of them spoke. It was as if he didn’t exist.

People spoke of betrayal, of the day the Knights Radiant turned their backs on their fellow men. What were they fighting, and why had they stopped? Two orders of knights were mentioned, Dalinar thought. But there were ten orders. What of the other eight?

Only two orders were mentioned, Stonewards and Windrunners. why? In another of his vision (the one when he was in the body of Heb) Radiants from the order of Stonewards and Windrunner came to help. Again, the two orders. This might be because they are the only one that can Shardwield and thus, can travel far very quickly but in a different manner. I do accept that another explanation might exist why it seems that only Stonewards and Windrunners can "travel" but i like Djando Je's theory. :)

• Chaos locked this topic