Dalinar has a voice in his head; and why Szeth remains truthless.

v Sim CO

From the hardcover...

Dalinars voice in his head

"Life ended so quickly. The Shardbearer was destruction incarnate, the most powerful force on a battlefield. Once these weapons meant protecting,a voice inside of him whispered."
"A parshman nurse had practically raised Dalinar. Life before death. What was that voice?"

Both quotes come from pg. 381 on Dalinar's first plateau assault. Chapter 26 - Stillness

I think it implies that there is a voice in Dalinars head, and this voice is most likely a spren.

Szeth

"Dangerous thoughts. His way of life was all that remained to him. If he questioned Stone Shamanism, would he then question his nature as Truthless? Dangerous, dangerous. Though his murders and sins would damnation him, at least his soul would be given to the stones upon his death. He would continue to exist. Punished, in agony, but not exiled to nothingness.

Better to exist in agony than to vanish entirely.

pg. 445 I-6 "A work of Art"

Similarity between Parshman and Shin "soul would be given to the stones upon his death", and the Parshman laying there dead on stones.

Szeth remains truthless because he believes that he can either be truthless and exist in agony forever or be exiled into nothingness. In a way the more I read about Szeth the less I sympathize with him, and the more I sympathize with him..

I'm about 500 pages into my read through... so will probably post more.

Is this your first time reading through the book?

Also, you seem to be dead on regarding Szeth. I have a few more reservations regarding the voices speaking to Dalinar, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what was going on.

First time reading Dalinar's part in so much detail (I read really fast, and didn't pick up on these details), and then I re-read only Kaladins Part a couple times. I usually concentrated on Shallan and Kaladin. All in all this is probably my 3rd time reading the book. (It's strange I keep coming back to it, even though my to-read pile is very large)

Well I did search but I never saw this mentioned, at least lately. I have lurked these forums for a while....

Edited by v Sim CO

I figured Szeth's reasoning was the same kind of reasoning of why some people believe in religion. Because it's so much easier to believe there's a point to our existence than to believe that when we die we're completely gone (for certain people at least).

PS I'm NOT saying that that's why people believe in religion. Some believers might not even ever have that thought (and most probably don't have that as a very high reason at all, if they even have it as a reason [i, personally, do have it as a reason, it's just not very high on the list... at all]).

EDIT: I seriously don't know why I added the parenthesis up above... but I did.

Edited by Lantern13

• Chaos locked this topic