Shinovar in Epigraphs

b4dave

I noticed during my reread that one of the epigraphs seems to mention Shinovar, at least in my opinion. Its the epigraph for chapter 8.

"Victory! We stand atop the mount! We scatter them before us! Their homes become our dens, their lands are now our farms! And they shall burn, as we once did, in a place that is hollow and forlorn."

The only place I can actually see farms happening is in Shinovar, where they have soil for cultivation. The last line "they shall burn, as we once did" seems to point towards the Heralds.

I noticed during my reread that one of the epigraphs seems to mention Shinovar, at least in my opinion. Its the epigraph for chapter 8.

"Victory! We stand atop the mount! We scatter them before us! Their homes become our dens, their lands are now our farms! And they shall burn, as we once did, in a place that is hollow and forlorn."

The only place I can actually see farms happening is in Shinovar, where they have soil for cultivation. The last line "they shall burn, as we once did" seems to point towards the Heralds.

During one of the Kaladin's Past chapters he and his family are depicted living in a settlement where most people are farmers.

It also wouldn't make sense if there were no farms. It'd be impossible to support a civilisation of the size we see in WOK without them, Soulcasters or not.

Plants grow on the rocky landscape of Roshar. That's farmable right there. Soil is not a required component.

Edited by Inevitable

Interesting epigraph. I don't understand it at all. The most interesting word for me is "dens". Who or what is social, intelligent and aggressive that lives in dens? Don't animals mostly live in dens?

Otherwise, the situation could fit for when humans first came to Roshar. The natives (parshmen, parshendi?) could have been displaced. The burning that they once did could have been during the expulsion from the Tranquiline Halls.

I suppose midnight essence could live in dens, but I can't imagine them farming.

If we find out that the parshendi call where they live dens, that would be interesting. Their weapons may depict the heralds, and they could be the remnants of the 5th Vorin kingdom that Shallan was surprised to learn about, in which case, they probably did burn at some point. But who have they attacked and displaced?

None of these possibilities seem like a good fit for me, so I throw these ideas out to maybe stimulate some intelligent thought from smarter readers than I. I'll look for references to "dens" in book 2.

I doubt it's a statement from the Heralds. protectors usually don't speak that way. Howver, the Voidbringers are described as having ravaged skin as if it were burned horribly. Perhaps they are created through fire or perhaps they must go to a place in between Desolations that is full of fire and ash, just as the Heralds had to. They seem like pretty nasty creatures, as well, and a statement like that wouldn't seem out of place coming from creatures who have experienced tortured existences. They might be pretty pissed off and itching to make the people of Roshar experience what they have been subjected to for millenia on end.

As for the quote being specific to Shinovar? The quoted mentions a "mount" and there are many mountain ranges throughout Roshar. However, he does call it "the mount" indicating a specific mountaintop. If you can prove there is a mountain in Shinovar with specific importance, you might have a better case.

• Chaos locked this topic