Wild, unfounded Shin theory (spoilers)

tipbruley

OK, so part of this goes off into crazy land, but try to keep an open mind. I don't believe we have enough evidence about the Shin to truly understand them, but something had been irritating me about them. Upon rereading WoK, I came up with a wild, but interesting theory.

My theory is basically this. The Shin's magic and fertile lands come from sacrificing children and innocents in some way (Think Children of the Corn). Szeth was supposed to sacrifice a loved one, but didn't making him Truthless.

Now where to start on my foundation-less theory? Well what really got my started thinking was the following quote from the the begging of chapter 57 (the quotes the dying are saying).

“I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw.” Epigraph

This quote always stood out from other quotes. To me this sounds like a human sacrifice. It's not silencing the child so that others are not heard during a desolation, it's killing the child and letting its life force spill to the ground to benefit the rest of society.

Why the Shin? Well there are three main reasons.

First, the Shin are always described to have big, child-like eyes. While this is hardly proof, I do not believe that there isn't a reason for them to be described in such a way repeatedly in the book.

Second, we know that the Shin (and thus Szeth) do not get their magic from the Nahel bond (it has been confirmed that what is happening to Szeth is not related to the Knight's Radiant). Also, their land is described as furtile, but without any Spren, so they have to get their magic in other ways. The magic system in WoK seems to heavily favor a give and take attitude. The Radiants give something (I'll look up Syl's quote later) to the spren and in return get their powers. The Nightwatcher gives a boon for a curse. I think that the Shin sacrifice innocents for their power. We know almost nothing about them except that...

Their farmers are revered above any other profession and their farms are sacred. This doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. The one farmer we seems extraordinarily rich. The economics just don't add up that a farmer could be treated so well and revered when almost anyone could become a farmer. That on top of the fact that their fields are so sacred makes me think that there is something sinister going on behind closed doors.

I believe Szeth was in the Valley of Truth (where they reveal what they do to keep their lands fertile), and could not bring himself to agree with what was being done. He may have even been part of it before helping someone escape! We see Szeth be upset numerous times about killing innocents, especially at what was being done at the end of the book (I don't think he had ever even thought about talking the way he did to his masters before seeing people being killed for their secrets). Additionally, Truthless has always seemed an interesting word. Not Szeth the Liar, or Szeth the Untruthful. It was Szeth the Truthless, which to me implies that he has rejected the Truth about his people (or what happens in the Valley of Truth). You also get to see how uncomfortable the Farmer gets when Szeth is mentioned.

I also think this ties into the influence of the Shards on Roshar. The Alethi seemed to heavily favor Honor. However, I believe their bravery and courage has been twisted over time by Odium (Hate). Now, each soldier feels the "Thrill" when they kill on the battle field, leading to a war crazed society. I believe the Shin were the same way with Cultivation. Overtime their beliefs were twisted by hate which leads to human sacrificed

Call me crazy, but I hope to see people at least admit it might be possible :)

Edited by tipbruley

I can't remember exactly where, but I think there's been speculation that the epigraph you quoted was referring to the child Champion of Odium. Honor does state that Odium might choose a champion, and killing them before they reach adulthood would definitely benefit everyone. The phrase "everyone who lives" would include more than just all Shin, and they are definitely aware of those outside their borders so I don't think it could be purely Shin.

As to the origin of Shinovar's fertile soil, there has also been speculation on that. Shinovar is protected from the highstorms by the mountains around it border, and combined with the reverence for farmers its been suggested that Cultivation resides there. Farmers could be so rich if just a few control vast tracts of land, and if Cultivation is in Shinovar then it would explain why fields are so sacred. Szeth being Truthless might just mean he rejected their way of life or committed some crime, although witnessing the secret rites would count as one I suppose.

We just don't have enough information to be honest, we only have the first of ten books. It is far too early to start making sense of most of the epigraphs (and further books will add still more). Doesn't mean we shouldn't try though, and I don't think we can count this theory out yet. Sanderson has yet more stricks up his sleeve :D.

Hmm, interesting theory... I have to give you kudos for an original idea, this certainly isn't an idea that I have heard anyone speculate about. Personally, I doubt that Szeth became Truthless for refusing to sacrifice a child for two reasons. One is that Truthless seems different to me then how you've explained it. I always saw Szeth as disagreeing with a teaching of the Stone Shamans, something they saw as true, and being punished for it, thus "Truthless". That however doesn't mean you're incorrect as it is only my opinion. But there is one thing for sure. Szeth's punishment is related to the Voidbringers somehow. When Szeth assassinates Gavilar, he thinks about how his punishment says the Voidbringers aren't real, but his Honor demands they are, or something like that. This does fit well with Szeth denying something his people do or teach, but it also has to have something to do with the Voidbringers.

My own belief on why the farmers of Shinovar are so rich and respected has to do with Cultivation as well. Firstly, famers follow Cultivation's intent perfectly. Who better for the Shin to revere? My other point has to do with the way magic systems work in Brandon's books. The way for anyone to obtain magic from Cultivation, would be to Cultivate something somehow, which leads to my theory that the users of Cultivation's magic system are the farmers of Shinovar. It would explain their wealth and respect quite nicely, I think.

• Chaos locked this topic