Odium's Visit to Sel

Tulir

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone else has posted something similar to this, but in the letter in tWoK, the author said that Rayse, holder of Odium, visited Sel and Splintered what Aona and Skai held, and killed them. I don't remember where I read this, but I believe someone said that if 2 Shards were on the same world, then there would be 3 magic systems. We have 2 of them, but I was thinking that if the 2 Shards were Splintered, the 3rd magic system that depended on the interaction of the Shards, would disapear. The other 2 systems wouldn't, because there was still the Splinters of that Shard to fuel the system. This made sense to me, but I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone else.

On a totally unrelated note, if we agree that some Elantrians did visit Roshar, would their magic work? I thought that the magic came from the Shards and their interaction with the world so I was thinking that the Elantrians magic wouldn't work.

Please tell me if anyone thinks I am crazy.

1.) Think of it like a scale with one shard on either side, breaking one or both of the shards to splinters won’t affect the total sum of neither power nor intent. I think.

2.) Brandon said somewhere that it’s possible to fuel any magic anywhere with more or less effort, so I think that the Elantrian magic would work. However, the distance between Elantris and Roshar would mean that it would be quite weak.

Edited by Djerf

The whole "two Shards, three magic systems" has always been just a theory, I think. I've never liked it much, because it doesn't seem to hold very well for Roshar - and we know that Brandon likes rigit rules. The only reasonable explanation for Scadrial and Sel to have three magic systems is to have two mono-Shard systems, and one dual-Shard one. If we follow a similar logic and take it to Roshar, we'd end up with at most 7 distinct magic systems on the stormy world (Cultivation, Honor, Odium, C-H, H-O, C-O, C-H-O), and that's assuming all the Shards were willing to cooperate. As far as I know, there is not enough distinct magic there to get seven different magics. Nalthis has only one Shard, and as far as we know, only one magic system, so we can't look at that one to support or rebuke the theory.

But assuming I am wrong, your reasoning for Sel is sound.

" There was also the questions of Shuden's Strange ClayShan dance. Onlookers, including Lukel, claimed that the Jindo had managed to defeat one of Dilaf's monks alone--with his eyes closed. Some even said they had seen the young baron glowingas he fought" Elantris pg. 742 pdf ch. 63. There is the third system. I agree with the Ardent comment, but it makes me ask is it possible that other shards could make other mixed powers like Dominion and Honor.

• Chaos locked this topic