Extreme emotions and Shardic influence

Eri

An idea came to my mind today: what if talking about strange things shortly before death on Roshar is a phenomenon in a way similar to Snapping on Scadrial?

We know (annotations) that Snapping worked like that: extreme emotions made it harder for the part of Ruin in people to keep the Preservation part in place. Therefore under such emotions the part of Preservation could break free (i wonder where did it go after breaking free?). And it is said, that it's a general rule—emotions affect Shardic influence on people; it's a Realmatic thing, not specific to Scadrial.

Dying is obviously a moment of extreme emotions, and I think that what happens on Roshar may also fit in this scheme. Something breaks free, a part of a shard.

Which one? I don't know. Honor? Cultivation? Odium? It would be a interesting twist, especially if it turns out they're all lying / being cheated in their "visions". A scene in which Taravangian learns about it would be a great moment.

This theory-thingie has a weak point—why only the dying speak? There are other extreme situations. But, maybe, they're not extreme enough?

And why does it work with slow and painless deaths too? Maybe emotions aren't the exact trigger.

Edited by eri

There could be a connection in this way. Interesting to think about.

We know (annotations) that Snapping worked like that: extreme emotions made it harder for the part of Ruin in people to keep the Preservation part in place. Therefore under such emotions the part of Preservation could break free (i wonder where did it go after breaking free?).

It wasn't "freed" like "Ruin is now free" free, but rather, it's just accessible for use in Allomancy.

• Chaos locked this topic