Theory: The Nature of Breath

discipleofhoid

Theory Statement:

Well Founded:

Breath is the spiritual connection of a person to Endowment. In 17th Shard terms it is the investiture on Nalthis. While it is slightly echoed on the Physical Realm it is primarily of the Spiritual Realm.

More questionable:

Breath is a part of the persons SpiritWeb that is configured to be removable and transferable. This would mean that Awakening is a partner to hemalurgy. Where hemalurgy deals with removing parts of the SpiritWeb by force. Awakening is the voluntery endowment of someone or something else with a part of your SpiritWeb. Where the interactions of the metallic arts are hard coded into the SpiritWeb the interactions of Awakening are soft coded at the time of the transfer with the Command.

Reasoning behind theory:

Basic Assumptions:

At the 11/10/11 signing in response to the question Can someone gain magics of another world Brandon said:

Anyone can gain breaths on Nalthis, it's much harder to become an Allomancer.

As we can see from the heightenings when a person gains more breath they gain access to powers that they could not use with less breath. Existing powers also become easier to use.

Known cases of increased power coming through a greater connection to a Shard.

• Scadrial - Lerasium creates mistborn by forming a spiritual connection to preservation

Looking at these pieces of information we can see that more breath acts as one would expect a greater connection to the shard to act. The fact that anyone can gain breaths also implies that the shardic connection is part of the breath. If it wasn't you would have to be from Nalthis to gain breath.

The more questionable parts of the theory are an attempt to fit what we have learned about investiture from the Ars Arcanum with the way breath acts.

Let me know what you guys think about this theory.

brandon said becoming a drab harms people in some way (im sure), this suggests to me that it is not just something extra, else they wouldnt lose anything personally when they gave it away.

this doesnt exactly go against what you said in any way btw :P just that its slightly more entangled in said spiritweb and just not so easy to give away without taking a little extra

Edited by Wispsy

brandon said becoming a drab harms people in some way (im sure), this suggests to me that it is not just something extra, else they wouldnt lose anything personally when they gave it away.

this doesnt exactly go against what you said in any way btw :P just that its slightly more entangled in said spiritweb and just not so easy to give away without taking a little extra

Well they would be giving away most if not all of their connection to their god who is a shard of adonalsium. Thus they lose most of their connection to the powers of creation. I could see that being harmful.

They can't return so that would be detrimental as well.

We know they get sick easier and are more depressed.

There are several negatives to being a Drab just from what we can see already. I suspect that their is something else we don't know yet as well. I think this theory works with that though.

Another thing to remember is that even sentience comes from the connection to a shard. So they would still have a tiny connection but I think you are right about it being a sacrifice to give up your breath.

Edited by discipleofhoid

• Chaos locked this topic