The Letter: the element?

Empyrus

Another thing:

We don't know when the letter was written exactly. I note this because... well, Gavillar Kholin had some odd small sphere glowing with black light, which was later hidden by Szeth to some location. And if the Letter was written before Gavillar's assassination, could it be that Gavillar had gotten the sphere from Hoid (or from someone who had gotten/stolen it from Hoid)? Why is Hoid in the Alethi court? I wonder if it has something to do with that small sphere. Could the sphere be the "element"? Could Hoid be trying to get it back?

I asked what lerasium looks like but somehow i doubt it would glow black light, doesn't quite match Preservation... Doesn't stop me wondering if the sphere might be the element and if the element might be lerasium...

I like the question about why Hoid is hanging around the court. He's got to be trying to gain SOMETHING. Even if it's not related to a bead, this is a question I haven't considered enough, so kudos for point it out :)

The sphere being something from Shadesmar... now that sounds interesting, and more likely. Regardless, the sphere is likely to be a macguffin, no?

Odium hasn't been really described to us but to me, something glowing black light smells of Odium. Wrote the OP at night, in retrospect even considering the sphere to be lerasium sounds kinda silly... And then there are Gavillar's words, paraphrased: "they must not get it".

If the element is not lerasium but something else, something of Adonalsium... i reckon there is no way to even start guessing what it might be, with so little info. Dammit, this is going to be bothering me for a long time.

My two favorite theories are 1) of Odium and 2) from Shadesmar. Either one works for me, although I tend to lean toward the first.

Sudden, random inspiration: could either the sphere or the element — or both, if they are indeed one ant the same — be a quantity of 'Raysium' (the "body" of Odium)? Recall that, while missing a significant portion of his body, Ruin was severely crippled; easily foiled by even a nearly mindless Shard. Could a similar thing be happening here? Admittedly, all of the references to Odium's strongly imply that he is at his full capacity. However, were our heroes —or at least, Odium's foes — to obtain a sample of 'Raysium' , would such a treasure not carry all of the Cosmere-shaking import hinted at by Gavilar and the Letter?

Again, agreed.

This would make sense if the element was Lerasium and Hoid used the spiritual DNA splicing power to get Feruchemy, although I suppose it could also theoretically be done with hemalurgy.   The "element" could also be a hemalurgic spike granting a Feruchemical power.  I would tend to believe the Lerasium theory more likely however, given that we don't have any descriptions of Hoid walking around with metal in his body.

Dude, I wish that it wasn't Hemalurgy, but that would lend new meaning to "keeping it as safe as my own skin." Yeesh.

The thing is, Hoid has been using feruchemy whenever he's needed to show up coincidentally.

He picks up lerasium in WoA, which is after he's already been doing his 'appear at significant events' thing for a while.

And there's a good chance he was involved in the Worldbringers being founded, too, since their similarity to 'Worldsingers' isn't coincidental.

• 1 month later...

As of tonight at the Provo Library signing, Brandon confirmed that the element is the bead of Lerasium. Which confirms both this theory, and the theory that Hoid wrote the letter (which, let's face it, everyone knew anyway).

Edit for disclaimer: When I asked the question, I also thought the element and the lerasium were different. I asked it as a "Hoid clearly has a habit for taking important items. He has the bead of lerasium and the element. What other items does he have that we should know about?" Brandon's response was that the bead and the element are the same. And that he has many items he should not have. Unfortunately, my phone's battery power was super-low so I couldn't record this response. But if any of you doubt me, ask Mi'ch or Josh. Or Peter. They were all there.

Edited by little wilson

As of tonight at the Provo Library signing, Brandon confirmed that the element is the bead of Lerasium. Which confirms both this theory, and the theory that Hoid wrote the letter (which, let's face it, everyone knew anyway).

Edit for disclaimer: When I asked the question, I also thought the element and the lerasium were different. I asked it as a "Hoid clearly has a habit for taking important items. He has the bead of lerasium and the element. What other items does he have that we should know about?" Brandon's response was that the bead and the element are the same. And that he has many items he should not have. Unfortunately, my phone's battery power was super-low so I couldn't record this response. But if any of you doubt me, ask Mi'ch or Josh. Or Peter. They were all there.

True story, bro.

• Chaos locked this topic