Just a small thing I'd noticed...

hi guys!! so I just finished Elantris (OH MAN, MY FEELS) and also stumbled upon the short story, The Hope of Elantris and read that too. (The link is here if any of you haven't read it.)

but yeah, in this short story, it mentions two previously unheard of (at least to me) Aons: Aon Ati (meaning hope) and Aon Aeo (meaning bravery).

I don't have any ideas about Aon Aeo, but what about Aon Ati? Ringing any bells, my friends?

I'm pointing this out because I don't see Brandon as someone to use the same word for different reasons without noticing. Therefore, I think this is a clue (or something). As to what it's a clue FOR, well, I have no idea. :T

I'm having a hard time linking Ati (that is, Ruin or atium or something) to the concept of hope, so make of this what you will. i just thought i'd throw this out there. :3

EDIT: i apologize profusely if this has been pointed out by someone before; i tried searching the forums to see but the search bar doesn't allow keywords below 4 letters, and 'hope' didn't seem to turn up much.

Edited by bronzecompounder

Someone noticed this on the old TWG forums, but it only got a handful of posts, never a whole thread.

I thought that perhaps Aona was expressing hope that Ati could retain his humanity, or that Ati took the Ruin Shard in the hope that he could make it less horrible. I really like this kind of speculation; I only wish we could find more evidence for it.

Someone noticed this on the old TWG forums, but it only got a handful of posts, never a whole thread.

I thought that perhaps Aona was expressing hope that Ati could retain his humanity, or that Ati took the Ruin Shard in the hope that he could make it less horrible. I really like this kind of speculation; I only wish we could find more evidence for it.

ahh yes i like these ideas a lot! i forgot that ati was 'once a kind and generous man'. derp. ;P

I agree, I want more cosmere stuff. I think I'm going to have to reread every cosmere novel and look out for Hoid and other things now.

Eh, I'm pretty sure Brandon's said that the sound or name of an Aon is separate from the shape of the Aon itself, its something humans have attached to it. But then again they got Aon right from Aona, another name they shouldn't have known. Maybe she was influencing them?

Eh, I'm pretty sure Brandon's said that the sound or name of an Aon is separate from the shape of the Aon itself, its something humans have attached to it. But then again they got Aon right from Aona, another name they shouldn't have known. Maybe she was influencing them?

another very good point. i mean, it's not above shards to speak into the minds of people! ^u^

AFAIR Sanderson has answered that once, saying that Aon Ati has no connection to Ati and is pronounced differently. I don't remember the source.

The Hope of Elantris was written after a girl in Pemberly's class did a book report on Elantris. The girl's name was Matisse. "Ati" is the only letter grouping in that name that follows the pattern of Aons.

• Chaos locked this topic