[OB] Ranking of first 3 Books

HarryKal

The oathbringer is out and most of the fans like myself would have finished reading it already. 

After finishing the book I thought of ranking the books so far in the series and I would like to see whether my taste fit with majority. I have given mine below

1. WoK  95/100

2. OB      90/100

3. WoR   85/100

You can give yours like above  and if you like you can also give a short explanation.

I don't believe it's possible to judge a book of this complexity after only having read it once!   After many rereads and extended digestion of the first two over many years, I understand their nuances in a way that just isn't possible for OB yet.

I know that I loved my first read, and I expect to read it many more times in the years to come.  There are depths here for sure, and I'm looking forward to putting in the time to explore them.   Maybe I'll be able to answer this around the time book #4 comes out?

Or maybe not.  "What's your favorite book" is for me a bit like asking a parent to pick which of their kids they love the best :-)

My instinct is to say OB>WoR>>>WoK. I think the second half of Way of Kings has pacing issues, particularly on the Dalinar/Elhokar/Sadeas side of things, until the big fight at the end happens. My broader Sanderson ranking would probably be something like OB>WoR>Mistborn 1>Edgedancer>Warbreaker>Mistborn 2>>WoK>>>Elantris, with the proviso that Elantris is a book that I basically like so IMO none of these books are bad.

How about:

1. WOK

1. WOR

1. OB

I don't think i can choose. They are all awesome and epic in their own ways. Every time i reread WOK and WOR they keep getting better. I just finished OB today and it is freaking amazing! so in the heat of the moment i might be partial to OB. But i can't really say because i just got through 1 read of OB and there is so much more to look at when i go back through it and i am sure i will like it even more when i reread it. Oh but what a fun issue to consider. Which of these wonderful books do i like more. Sigh. :D 

I have two rankings, enjoyment on first read and enjoyment on current reads. First read is how much I enjoyed the book the first time I read it (obviously XD) and current reads is a mix of how much I enjoyed them on subsequent reads, which I would rather read atm, and which I think is a better book.

First Read: WoK is the best because I read it at the right time in my life to really enjoy Kaladin's initial story, whereas now I find it almost impossible to read through part 1 of WoK. OB is somewhat similar in that I read it and WoK during moments of stress, which made both of them more enjoyable since they let me escape for a bit. OB comes out a bit behind because I've probably never been more stressed than the day I read WoK, so having something else to do that day was a godsend.

WoK > OB > WoR

Current Reads: I haven't read OB for a second time yet, so I'm hesitant to place it over WoR which I have re-read at least 5-10 times, and is possibly my favorite Cosmere book atm (not counting Emperor's Soul which my brain files under short story for some reason). As I mentioned above I can no longer read Part 1 of WoK without feeling terrible, so that takes away from it a bit, and OB is still in limbo. If there are more topics like this in the future OB will probably have a solidified place.

WoR > OB > WoK

• Chaos locked this topic