Cosmere reread

Pangolin

Question

Hello!

I read all of Brandon's books but only recently started realized there was a Cosmere and want to reread for Oathbringer. Besides reading them in order, should I read the books in a specific order to have the Cosmere make sense? Also is there any knowledge that I should know going in? Don't worry about spoilers. 

Thanks,

Pang

2 answers to this question

I am not an expert, but the novels are more or less independent, there are some cameos, for rereads I use this order:

Mistborn(Era 1)

Elantris

Secret history

WoK

Warbreaker

WoR

Mistborn (Era 2)

That way the cameos are close enough to notice them more easily.Also look for a character named Hoid.

About the Knowledge, I'll let someone wiser answer that, I know there are tons of things we know via WoBs, but couldn't say you which ones are the most importants.

6 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Also is there any knowledge that I should know going in?

It's simple: Every time you read about Brandon revealing something that's not in the books, do another re-read. :P

Just kidding; that's gonna be a lot of re-reads. I think for most people it's enough to know about the Shards, the Realms, and the Worldhoppers. Read those Coppermind articles I've linked to and you'll already have plenty to look for in your re-read. Secret History and Arcanum Unbounded already revealed a lot about those topics, anyway, so hopefully the stuff revealed there is still fresh in your mind.

Also, just in case you read an old edition of Elantris, I highly recommend "re-reading" using the Tenth Anniversary Edition if only for the Ars Arcanum and the extra scene at the end. More cosmere fun!

Edited by skaa