[Spoiler] Death Rattle Fulfillment?

dvoraen

Given the ending parts of Edgedancer, I think we can shut the book on the following Death Rattle:

"In the storm I awaken, falling, spinning, grieving."

—Collected on Kakanev 1173, 13 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a city guardsman

I think this applies to Nale, when Lift breaks through the hold on him.  He 'awakens' to who he is/was, turns ("spins") to see the parshmen responding to the Everstorm, falls to his knees, and begins to cry.

Brandon's Postscript also states he wanted this to be a significant event and not have happen offscreen, so it feels like a notable event that would be a Death Rattle.

Edited by dvoraen

I will be honest, I like it a lot BUT Brandon didn't planned the novella and in book 3, Nale is already on the "Desolation is here" so I find unlikely.

In the original Brandon's plan we don't see on screen Nale's realization of the Voidbringers' return and this is the reason he exploited the Novella to show us

19 hours ago, Yata said:

I will be honest, I like it a lot BUT Brandon didn't planned the novella and in book 3, Nale is already on the "Desolation is here" so I find unlikely.

In the original Brandon's plan we don't see on screen Nale's realization of the Voidbringers' return and this is the reason he exploited the Novella to show us

Honestly, I don't think that it being in the plan or not for being an on screen occurrence really debunks a specific Death Rattle's fulfillment.  A number of them are likely to happen off screen, particularly the introspective ones.  I simply think this one, while it may have been originally planned as an off screen revelation, was concrete enough of an event in Brandon's head where we got cryptic details of how it goes down via Death Rattle.  Then it was decided to happen on screen (via Edgedancer), and then we get a lot more details. And here we are.

Edited by dvoraen

The alternative interpretation is that the subject of the rattle are the Voidbringers.  Or Kaladin. Or Szeth. Or Eshonai personally. 

To me this seems to be less about a specific individual though, and more about the fact that something unfortunate will come from the storm. This is certainly happening.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2016 at 9:40 PM, dvoraen said:

Honestly, I don't think that it being in the plan or not for being an on screen occurrence really debunks a specific Death Rattle's fulfillment.  A number of them are likely to happen off screen, particularly the introspective ones.  I simply think this one, while it may have been originally planned as an off screen revelation, was concrete enough of an event in Brandon's head where we got cryptic details of how it goes down via Death Rattle.  Then it was decided to happen on screen (via Edgedancer), and then we get a lot more details. And here we are.

It could also be that Brandon had planned this scene when he wrote the Death Rattle, but post-WoR realised he didn't have a good place to insert it prior to when Nale needed to show up in the main narrative. Trust me when I say that it's very easy to plan a scene but not be able to work it into the narrative structure you need to tell a specific story. Thus when he decided to do Edgedancer, it showed up anyway.

• Chaos locked this topic